The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue May 09, 2017, 02:42pm
Official Forum Member

Runner inside field of play on bunt or dropped 3rd

I know about 10 or so years ago in NFHS especially in our area, there was a real point of emphasis on calling batter-runner out for not running in the lane if there was a throw coming from that area of the field where they could be distratcting/interfering, had no bearing on whether or not they were hit with the ball as some feel the rule was.

Bad throw, you were inside field of play, they were calling you out dead ball and return the runners. I have seen a lot of bunters running way inside that line throws whizzing right by them and when runner running and ball coming both at you see a lot of misses.

Wonder if that rule has been de-emphasized, not really known at younger levels or called.
Old Tue May 09, 2017, 04:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by parrothead View Post
I know about 10 or so years ago in NFHS especially in our area, there was a real point of emphasis on calling batter-runner out for not running in the lane if there was a throw coming from that area of the field where they could be distratcting/interfering, had no bearing on whether or not they were hit with the ball as some feel the rule was.

Bad throw, you were inside field of play, they were calling you out dead ball and return the runners. I have seen a lot of bunters running way inside that line throws whizzing right by them and when runner running and ball coming both at you see a lot of misses.

Wonder if that rule has been de-emphasized, not really known at younger levels or called.
There actually has to be interference. Just running there isn't enough.
Old Tue May 09, 2017, 04:04pm
Official Forum Member

So what qualifies as interference? Getting hit with ball? Contact with 1B or fielder? Has anything changed on this or just HS umps were interpreting the "interference" to be getting in the way of the catchers throw, having him throw over you or not giving him a lane.
Old Tue May 09, 2017, 04:09pm
Official Forum Member

I know this sounds trite but you'll know it when you see it.

Hitting the runner isn't necessary.

Interference has to be with the fielder taking the throw at 1B.

In most rules other than FED a quality throw is required - airmail it to RF and there's no interference. FED in its infinite wisdom says it is.

Personally I think that if the catcher is too stupid to find a throwing lane he deserves whatever happens.
Old Tue May 09, 2017, 04:18pm
Official Forum Member

Agreed and it used to drive me nuts because we were often just sacrificing a guy over, I was more than willing to take the out there and the C would throw the ball away and these guys were nitpicky the first couple years it was a point of emphasis, early to mid 00's.

But coming back up through with my kids at the youth level, these 60 foot bases with not as strong of throwing arms as HS kids on 90 footer you dont have a lot of time to establish that ideal lane sometimes, but its NEVER called in youth even when the kid is both feet inside lane and C lane clearly impacted.