The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Apr 17, 2017, 11:31am
Official Forum Member

MLB Slide Rule

I'm reading 6.01j - the new MLB slide rule on force plays. Can anybody tell me what's different than what the slide rule has traditionally been? It seems the wording is pretty much the same. What can't you do now that you used to be able to?
Old Mon Apr 17, 2017, 02:39pm
Official Forum Member

From the MLB press release on the rule changes:
Slides
Under new Rule 6.01(j), which has been added to the existing Rule 6.01 on "Interference, Obstruction, and Catcher Collisions," slides on potential double plays will require runners to make a bona fide attempt to reach and remain on the base. Runners may still initiate contact with the fielder as a consequence of an otherwise permissible slide. A runner will be specifically prohibited from changing his pathway to the base or utilizing a "roll block" for the purpose of initiating contact with the fielder. Potential violations of Rule 6.01(j) will be reviewable using instant replay. Also reviewable will be "neighborhood play" calls, which previously were exempted from replay review. Rule 6.01(j) reads as follows:

Rule 6.01(i) -- Sliding to Bases on Double Play Attempts
If a runner does not engage in a bona fide slide, and initiates (or attempts to make) contact with the fielder for the purpose of breaking up a double play, he should be called for interference under this Rule 6.01. A "bona fide slide" for purposes of Rule 6.01 occurs when the runner:
(1) begins his slide (i.e., makes contact with the ground) before reaching the base;
(2) is able and attempts to reach the base with his hand or foot;
(3) is able and attempts to remain on the base (except home plate) after completion of the slide; and
(4) slides within reach of the base without changing his pathway for the purpose of initiating contact with a fielder.

A runner who engages in a "bona fide slide" shall not be called for interference under this Rule 6.01, even in cases where the runner makes contact with the fielder as a consequence of a permissible slide. In addition, interference shall not be called where a runner's contact with the fielder was caused by the fielder being positioned in (or moving into) the runner's legal pathway to the base.

Notwithstanding the above, a slide shall not be a "bona fide slide" if a runner engages in a "roll block," or intentionally initiates (or attempts to initiate) contact with the fielder by elevating and kicking his leg above the fielder's knee or throwing his arm or his upper body.

If the umpire determines that the runner violated this Rule 6.01(j), the umpire shall declare both the runner and batter-runner out. Note, however, that if the runner has already been put out then the runner on whom the defense was attempting to make a play shall be declared out.
Old Mon Apr 17, 2017, 08:57pm
Official Forum Member

This is the change that went into effect last year (2016). ( aka utley rule in response to the chase utley takeout play in 2015 NLDS). There were significant changes from 2015-2016 (as noted). But i dont see any change in rules 2016 to 2017. Nor any new comments in 2017 rules .
This was heavily enphasised in 2016 spring training and we saw it enforced throughout 2016 season. Including elimination of neighborhood play, allowing instant replay (and creating painful delays ).
Old Wed Apr 19, 2017, 03:10pm
Official Forum Member

It seems like it's the same rule though (same as prior to 2016). As long as you're within an arm's length of the base, you can take out the fielder. What am I missing?
Old Thu Apr 20, 2017, 11:48am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bossman72 View Post
It seems like it's the same rule though (same as prior to 2016). As long as you're within an arm's length of the base, you can take out the fielder. What am I missing?
No, you can't, unless you were sliding in a direction that was originally away from the fielder and they put themselves in the path.
Old Thu Apr 20, 2017, 08:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Two things.

They have to start their slide before reaching the base and they have to remain on the base. Before 2016, you'd see players start their slide on the base or next to it (within an arms reach), but they ended up on the grass by the time their momentum stopped. That's now an illegal slide.

Also, as Matt said, they can't alter their path to try to make contact.
Old Fri Apr 21, 2017, 08:39pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks guys. So on a routine double play at second with the SS covering and shuffling to the RF side of the base after the catch, it seems like the runner basically has to go straight into the bag much like the FPSR, correct? If he slides into the fielder, even within arm's reach of the bag, this is illegal, correct?
Old Sat Apr 22, 2017, 10:17pm
Administrator

I know that I am late to the party I have heard of Post Versalog (I own both a full size and a half size, as well as a full size Post Triglog), Pickett, and K&E slide rules but I have never heard of an OBR slide rule, !

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Sat Apr 22, 2017, 11:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Thanks guys. So on a routine double play at second with the SS covering and shuffling to the RF side of the base after the catch, it seems like the runner basically has to go straight into the bag much like the FPSR, correct? If he slides into the fielder, even within arm's reach of the bag, this is illegal, correct?
No. No.

Basically. he must slide within reach, touch the bag. and remain in contact. If he "gets" the fielder while doing that it's legal.