The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Apr 19, 2005, 01:03pm
Official Forum Member

Hey all..I'm a basketball official and only know a little about specific baseball rules....

I was watching a FED varsity game the other day and on a play at the plate the runner did not make contact with the catcher but did not slide either. He scored just before the catcher tagged him. The catcher tagged the foot he had just hit the plate with, causing the runner to trip and flip over onto the ground, accidentally knocking the catcher down in the process. I know that some lower/little leagues have must slide rules at the plate...does HS, or even NCAA, have it as well?
Old Tue Apr 19, 2005, 01:07pm
Official Forum Member

No. They don't
Old Tue Apr 19, 2005, 01:52pm
Official Forum Member

Hmmm,

I actually do not know of any "must slide" rule in any big boy ball rule books.
Old Tue Apr 19, 2005, 03:00pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to TBBlue
Must slide rules are not in Little Boy rule books either.
Old Tue Apr 19, 2005, 08:41pm
Official Forum Member

You're confusing "must slide" with "slide or avoid contact" rules. The latter are common at lower levels. No major rule system requires runners to slide.
Old Tue Apr 19, 2005, 09:00pm
Official Forum Member

Among other reasons "must slide" rules are extremely dangerous to players. It is very difficult to coach youth players in proper sliding technique, particularly in areas where you don't have access to skin infields during the winter.
Slide or give up is a useful rule in the younger ages. "Slide or don't crash" would be better. But these kids half the time don't know what to do with the bat when they're done with it!
Old Thu Apr 21, 2005, 12:47pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to akalsey Send a message via Yahoo to akalsey
Quote:
But these kids half the time don't know what to do with the bat when they're done with it!
Conversation last night with the umpire in 9-10yo game.

Ump: Can you come out here a moment?
Me: [trots out]
Ump: Your batter threw the bat.
Me: Yes, he did.
Ump: He can't do that.
Me: Why not?
Ump: Because it hit the catcher in the legs!
Me: You mean in those legs that are covered with shin guards? Good thing the catcher was properly equiped. Thanks for noticing the improper backswing, Blue. I'll work with him on it next practice. [I turn and head back to the dugout]
Old Thu Apr 21, 2005, 12:50pm
Official Forum Member

And he let you stay?
Old Thu Apr 21, 2005, 03:49pm
Official Forum Member

Yes he did. In fact he even let me stay when a runner missed third and he informed me that I had to call time before I could appeal. So with the pitcher standing on third with the ball, I called time. And then said "The runner from second missed third base and the umpire needs to re-read 7.10(d)."

I was disgusted with the umpire and was just begging to be tossed. But I got to stay.
Old Thu Apr 21, 2005, 04:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by akalsey
Quote:
But these kids half the time don't know what to do with the bat when they're done with it!
Conversation last night with the umpire in 9-10yo game.

Ump: Can you come out here a moment?
Me: [trots out]
Ump: Your batter threw the bat.
Me: Yes, he did.
Ump: He can't do that.
Me: Why not?
Ump: Because it hit the catcher in the legs!
Me: You mean in those legs that are covered with shin guards? Good thing the catcher was properly equiped. Thanks for noticing the improper backswing, Blue. I'll work with him on it next practice. [I turn and head back to the dugout]
1. Shin guards do not cover all of the leg.
2. Sometimes even "protection" is not enough. I know, I was hit by a thrown bat in the cup once.
3. There is no good reason you should have remained in the game.
4. Why is it Rats who try to umpire are among the mouthiest of Rats?
Old Fri Apr 22, 2005, 11:00am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Why is it Rats who try to umpire are among the mouthiest of Rats?
Ouch.

I fully admit I should have been dumped. In fact by that point I was trying to get dumped. So I was a bit rude and WAY out of line.

I was to the point I was tired of the calls and the game. Up to this point, the umpire had insisted that the players on the bench don't cheer, can't stand on the bench, and will not under any circumstances have anything in the dugout except water and PowerAid. A player of mine who had GatorAde was told to put it away because the concession stand only sells PowerAid.

And the thrown bat? The point he was about to make was that the runner was out. He'd made that call against the other team the night before. I was having nothing of it. Besides, the bat wasn't thrown, it was released while still in a bit of motion, sure, but it wouldn't have gone two feet had it not hit the catcher. But what was I going to say "No he didn't throw it?" and argue with him? It was easier to point out there's no rule against it.

In the 6th inning the first base coach on the other team groaned when he was told to get back in the coaches box while a relief pitcher was warming up. He had been leaning against the fence near the box. After the game, this umpire entered the dugout and tried to pick a fist fight with that coach.

Yesterday the league removed the umpire for the remainder of the season.
Old Fri Apr 22, 2005, 11:16am
Official Forum Member

dont 9-10yo leagues get parents out of the stands for this sort of thing?
Old Fri Apr 22, 2005, 12:05pm
Official Forum Member

Not usually in our league. 9-10 and up get umpires assigned. 7-8 get new umpires in training or parents from the stands.
Old Fri Apr 22, 2005, 12:08pm
Official Forum Member

Sounds like someone was over umping and looking for bs to pick on and that causes unnecessary friction with coaches.

Some umps spend too much time looking for ways to justify their existence and instead should remember we are there to professionally officiate a game played by players who are coached by coaches.

Dont let umps like the one you describe or the asses calling you a rat bother you. Thats a little thing the prima dona tim does to make himself feel superior. Others fall in line out for whatever reason.

They have forgotten the reason they are on the field and think they are the game.

[Edited by wadeintothem on Apr 22nd, 2005 at 01:10 PM]
Old Fri Apr 22, 2005, 12:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by wadeintothem
Sounds like someone was over umping and looking for bs to pick on and that causes unnecessary friction with coaches.

Some umps spend too much time looking for ways to justify their existence and instead should remember we are there to professionally officiate a game played by players who are coached by coaches.

Dont let umps like the one you describe or the asses calling you a rat bother you. Thats a little thing the prima dona tim does to make himself feel superior. Others fall in line out for whatever reason.

They have forgotten the reason they are on the field and think they are the game.

[Edited by wadeintothem on Apr 22nd, 2005 at 01:10 PM]

ah, another umpire-coach heard from. *opens a fresh bag of popcorn*