The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Apr 01, 2017, 05:18am
Official Forum Member

Runner Crashing into Fielder

High School game (NFHS) - Runner on 1B. Batter hits soft grounder to second baseman. As the second baseman comes in to field ball the fielder either is about to field ball OR fields it cleanly and has ball and about to tag runner coming towards him....the runner crashes into the fielder (leveling the defensive player) as he is proceeding to 2B...everyone was safe as ball was jarred loose from the second baseman.
In either case shouldn't the runner be called out for "crashing" (interfering) into the fielder? Shouldn't the runner in every effort avoid interfering with the fielder by stopping, going around or in front of fielder? Umpire did not call anything saying it was "incidental contact"
Also in NFHS does it not state you cannot "crash" into the catcher, does this not to apply to any other fielder's?
Old Sat Apr 01, 2017, 06:04am
Official Forum Member

In all codes a runner must avoid a defensive player in the act of fielding g a batted ball. The play you describe should have been interference

It might have been malicious contact as well in FED (and most amateur codes)

The "crashing" rules you refer to generally apply to a fielder who has or is about to receive a thrown ball. The specifics vary by rules code.
Old Sun Apr 02, 2017, 06:29pm
Official Forum Member

Bob,
When does the act of fielding end and the attempt to tag begin? Would that have an effect on this play?
Old Sun Apr 02, 2017, 07:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Krueger View Post
Bob,
When does the act of fielding end and the attempt to tag begin? Would that have an effect on this play?
Yes, in multiple ways.

If this was a run-of-the-mill collision, let's say, R1 just wasn't paying attention, then it would be interference while the fielder is in the act of fielding the ball. If he is now done with the act of fielding and then this type of collision happens, it's probably nothing.

If R1 intended to interfere on the tag attempt, then it is an out and a dead ball.

In either case, if he committed MC (a form of interference,) it is an out, a dead ball, and an ejection.
Old Sun Apr 02, 2017, 08:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Krueger View Post
Bob,
Yes -- I missed the "about to tag the runner" part of the play description. I read it as "about to field, or has just fielded" -- and my answer stands for that.