The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Mar 12, 2017, 01:34pm
Official Forum Member

NFHS Fielder acting as if an Error occurred

I am reading the NFHS case book, and 6.2.4 Situation E is "With R1 on second base, F1 wheels and fakes a throw to second on a pickkoff attempt. As R1 dives back into the base, F4 and F6 run into short center field and act like an overthrow occurred, R1 Seeing this, takes off for third base and gets thrown out by F1: RULING: This is legal and not considered unsportsmanlike conduct."

So my question is... If a fielder at a base fakes taking a throw (or fakes a tag) the rule is obstruction, but this "trickery" by the infield is allowed? Just trying to make sure i clearly understand situations that may occur... Thanks for any help
Old Sun Mar 12, 2017, 01:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSBAL18 View Post
I am reading the NFHS case book, and 6.2.4 Situation E is "With R1 on second base, F1 wheels and fakes a throw to second on a pickkoff attempt. As R1 dives back into the base, F4 and F6 run into short center field and act like an overthrow occurred, R1 Seeing this, takes off for third base and gets thrown out by F1: RULING: This is legal and not considered unsportsmanlike conduct."

So my question is... If a fielder at a base fakes taking a throw (or fakes a tag) the rule is obstruction, but this "trickery" by the infield is allowed? Just trying to make sure i clearly understand situations that may occur... Thanks for any help
That part is wrong.

"Faking a tag" is dis-allowed because it (usually) results in an unneeded slide and, thus, can be dangerous. Do NOT extend it to other deceptive acts.
Old Sun Mar 12, 2017, 01:41pm
Official Forum Member

more info...

My reference is 2-22 Article 1. "Obstruction is an act (intentionally or unintentionally, as well as physical or verbal) by a fielder, and member of the defensive team or its personnel that hinders a runner or changes the pattern of play..."

So that is why I am curious about my original post of "why is F4 and F6 allowed to do that"
Old Sun Mar 12, 2017, 04:29pm
Official Forum Member

and....

Even though i know most umpires wont call it, isnt the Defensive dugout yelling "hey batter, hey batter,,,SWING" against the rules? I know many wont call that in a game, but what about if an offensive coach complains about it to the umpire? then are you required to enforce the rule? Makes the umpire look bias if he "doesnt call everything" unless a coach complains about it.

The whole umbrella of what is and what is not "unsportsmanlike conduct" seems a bit ... gray.. but that is why im posting. I want to learn all i can from the more educated umpires.
Old Sun Mar 12, 2017, 05:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
My reference is 2-22 Article 1. "Obstruction is an act (intentionally or unintentionally, as well as physical or verbal) by a fielder, and member of the defensive team or its personnel that hinders a runner or changes the pattern of play..."

So that is why I am curious about my original post of "why is F4 and F6 allowed to do that"

F6 throws the ball to F3 to retire BR -- that changes the pattern of play" - are you going to call OBS?

Umpire *with* the book, not *by* the book.
Old Sun Mar 12, 2017, 08:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
That part is wrong.

"Faking a tag" is dis-allowed because it (usually) results in an unneeded slide and, thus, can be dangerous. Do NOT extend it to other deceptive acts.
Faking a tag is a safety issue.
Unnecessary slide, potential collision.
IMO that is why it is illegal more so than an unsportsmanlike act.
Old Sun Mar 12, 2017, 08:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Is trickery about pitch type and location unsportsmanlike.
Old Mon Mar 13, 2017, 06:31am
Official & ***** Member

Don't forget -- the runner has a coach at third base whose job it is to tell him when to advance. Runners leave their bases at their own risk.
Old Mon Mar 13, 2017, 09:29am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

I would say that this is an accepted and normal part of the pattern of play. Deception and trickery is integral to many aspects of the game and fully legal - when done in accordance with the rules. Every single pickoff attempt is an attempt at deception - it just has to be done within the structure of the balk rules. A runner feinting a steal to throw off a pitcher is legal deception, etc. A fake catch is really no different, it's a part of the normal operations of the game, using elements of the game. I think this distinguishes it from things like slapping the ball out of a fielder's hands or yelling "I've got it" by a runner. Those active, explicit acts are not normal actions.

Even a fake tag is a normal part of the game and allowed at other levels, there's just been an exception carved out for safety reasons by Fed due to the age and maturity of high school players vs college/professional players.

As to yelling "swing", again a normal part of the pattern of play. There are specific and detailed instances when it should be called - when it deviates from normal chanting to taunting, attempts at intimidation, foul language, etc.
Old Tue Mar 14, 2017, 11:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Even though i know most umpires wont call it, isnt the Defensive dugout yelling "hey batter, hey batter,,,SWING" against the rules? I know many wont call that in a game, but what about if an offensive coach complains about it to the umpire? then are you required to enforce the rule? Makes the umpire look bias if he "doesnt call everything" unless a coach complains about it.

The whole umbrella of what is and what is not "unsportsmanlike conduct" seems a bit ... gray.. but that is why im posting. I want to learn all i can from the more educated umpires.

My first post on this forum...

When this occurs in my games I end it right now. Taunting is a violation of FED rules and quickly escalates to a point where you and if your lucky your partner are quickly outnumbered by 30+ players and coaches. Allowing it to continue can also bring the fans into the fray and can escalate issues outside the fence line. Addressing comments made to the other team early and shutting them down is just good preventative umpiring.

I want the teams cheering and encouraging their side, having fun and being competitive. I do not want escalated retaliation due to stupid comments made from the other teams dugout.