The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 13, 2017, 11:42pm
Official Forum Member

When has the gather occurred?

I'd like to know when rule-wise the gather of a dribble has occurred? One of my guys does a drop-step where he takes one or two dribbles to the middle then simultaneous with picking the ball up, drops his front foot then his back and goes up strong. Is this a travel? If you rule he has gathered while his back foot is down, then it's a travel, of course. But, i don't know according to the rules when a gather has occured. I look at it similar to a Euro. Thanks!
Old Sat Jan 14, 2017, 12:04am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Bill View Post
I'd like to know when rule-wise the gather of a dribble has occurred? One of my guys does a drop-step where he takes one or two dribbles to the middle then simultaneous with picking the ball up, drops his front foot then his back and goes up strong. Is this a travel? If you rule he has gathered while his back foot is down, then it's a travel, of course. But, i don't know according to the rules when a gather has occured. I look at it similar to a Euro. Thanks!
I personally don't use the term "gather." I look at when the dribble ends and where feet are when that happens. That tells me what is pivot etc.

In your play it sounds like the dribble ends when his front foot is going back. You say he "simultaneously picks ball up and steps front foot back." When he puts two hands on ball dribble has ended. That makes his back foot pivot. You say then he moves his back foot...and goes up strong". If he picked up that back foot and put it down before shot released that's travel.

Drop step I used-player steps back with first foot while last dribble is being pushed down. It is on the floor now when he ends dribble. Other foot is then brought around (making first the pivot) and goes up strong. Maybe that is what you are describing...

In the Chris Paul u tube video of euro step he ends dribble by hand going under ball. At that moment left foot is pivot. He steps right sideways etc. then across left and then up. Left foot was down, went up and down again then releases ball. It's travel. Not called in college and not in high school if done quickly. In college the rule/case book says give dribbler benefit when figuring out when dribble ends. Thx

Last edited by BigCat; Sat Jan 14, 2017 at 12:26am.
Old Sat Jan 14, 2017, 07:54am
Courageous When Prudent

Judgement of the official

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk
Old Sat Jan 14, 2017, 08:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
When the dribble ends is defined in 4-Dribble (sorry, no books this morning so I can't give the exact number or quote).

But, it's when the ball comes to rest in one or both hands, or palms the ball, or touches it with both hands, or the opponent knocks it away.
Old Sat Jan 14, 2017, 12:47pm
Official Forum Member

Rules-wise, there is no such thing as "gather".

Traveling is based on when the ball is held in one or both hands. As bob said "it's when the ball comes to rest in one or both hands, or palms the ball, or touches it with both hands".

Some people use the concept of gather improperly with regards to travel, essentially and incorrectly delaying start of the traveling rules to beyond when the ball is (rules-wise) caught, but when the ball is caught and secure in two hands and stably pulled into the body more like a catch in football.
Old Sat Jan 14, 2017, 01:11pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
Rules-wise, there is no such thing as "gather".

Traveling is based on when the ball is held in one or both hands. As bob said "it's when the ball comes to rest in one or both hands, or palms the ball, or touches it with both hands".

Some people use the concept of gather improperly with regards to travel, essentially and incorrectly delaying start of the traveling rules to beyond when the ball is (rules-wise) caught, but when the ball is caught and secure in two hands and stably pulled into the body more like a catch in football.
I'd be OK if they changed the rule to reflect this, but I really think things have evolved in application cause the prevailing mindset is that it's better to miss 10 travels than to call one that isn't really there.
Old Sat Jan 14, 2017, 01:53pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks everybody! By the way, I have been told by numerous officials "He had gathered to go up for the shot. Two shots." Or something similar, that includes the word gather.
Old Sat Jan 14, 2017, 02:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Thanks everybody! By the way, I have been told by numerous officials "He had gathered to go up for the shot. Two shots." Or something similar, that includes the word gather.
Not sure where you are from but Nobody around here uses that term. Camron is right. Gather makes people think catch. That isn't the rule.
Old Sat Jan 14, 2017, 03:18pm
Esteemed Forum Member

This Is What They Should Be Saying ...

Quote:
I have been told by numerous officials "He had gathered to go up for the shot. Two shots."
The trying motion may include arm,
foot or body movements used by the player when throwing the ball at his/her basket.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sun Jan 15, 2017, 04:26am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
I'd be OK if they changed the rule to reflect this, but I really think things have evolved in application cause the prevailing mindset is that it's better to miss 10 travels than to call one that isn't really there.
The travel calls I see made when not a travel usually have are not due to this.
Old Sun Jan 15, 2017, 08:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCat View Post
Not sure where you are from but Nobody around here uses that term. Camron is right. Gather makes people think catch. That isn't the rule.
It might be an NBA term that has filtered down.

While not a NFHS rule-book term, I do think it *can* be a useful shortcut / concept.
Old Sun Jan 15, 2017, 08:47am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCat View Post
Well it is used a lot around here. And the old funny book used to use that as the start of the habitual motion by showing a picture of the ball being "gathered" in order to show when the shooting motion had started.

Peace
Old Sun Jan 15, 2017, 04:38pm
We don't rent pigs

The use/non-use of a certain term doesn't necessarily equate to the rules. A LOT of people use the terms over the back (I don't) and on the floor. (I do, sometimes)

Lonesome Dove
Old Sun Jan 15, 2017, 10:16pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
The use/non-use of a certain term doesn't necessarily equate to the rules. A LOT of people use the terms over the back (I don't) and on the floor. (I do, sometimes).

Shame on you!

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio