The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Feb 15, 2017, 05:20pm
Official Forum Member

Assistance

Not wanting to blow up the other thread...

Ruling in Fed or NCAA:

Bases loaded, 1 out. Texas leaguer (not IFF) uncaught in shallow left. Runner from 2nd is off with the pitch, Runner from 3rd is tagging. As the ball is not caught, Runner from 3rd heads home. Runner from 2nd overruns third heading home, and is physically stopped by his coach, who pushes him back to 3rd base.

Throw goes home for the apparent force at home - F2 catches and touches home in plenty of time, but does not tag. Runner slides home.

West Houston Mike
Old Wed Feb 15, 2017, 06:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post
Not wanting to blow up the other thread...

Ruling in Fed or NCAA:

Bases loaded, 1 out. Texas leaguer (not IFF) uncaught in shallow left. Runner from 2nd is off with the pitch, Runner from 3rd is tagging. As the ball is not caught, Runner from 3rd heads home. Runner from 2nd overruns third heading home, and is physically stopped by his coach, who pushes him back to 3rd base.

Throw goes home for the apparent force at home - F2 catches and touches home in plenty of time, but does not tag. Runner slides home.
R2 was out upon the coach's interference. Force is off. Safe.

That's my take.
Old Wed Feb 15, 2017, 06:26pm
Official Forum Member

Fed 3-2-2 Penalty: The runner shall be called out immediately.

Unlike other penalties in 3-2 and 8-4-2, I see nothing that says the ball is dead. Without a tag, the run scores.
Old Thu Feb 16, 2017, 08:25am
Official Forum Member

NCAA might have a different ruling because I think the runner there is not declared out until the end of playing action, or similar.
Old Thu Feb 16, 2017, 10:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
NCAA might have a different ruling because I think the runner there is not declared out until the end of playing action, or similar.
Why would R2 not be out immediately so the defense knows they don't have to play on him?
Old Thu Feb 16, 2017, 10:50am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Ives View Post
Why would R2 not be out immediately so the defense knows they don't have to play on him?
I am just saying what I recall the NCAA rule to be (not what I think it should be, nor how it might get ruled on the field).

PENALTY for e. and f.—A delayed dead ball shall be called. At the conclusion of
the play, the assisted runner shall be declared out.
Old Thu Feb 16, 2017, 12:50pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to swkansasref33
Bob is correct. It is a delayed dead ball, as it allows for plays to be made on other runners. You call the interference immediately, but do not declare the runner out until the conclusion of play.
Old Thu Feb 16, 2017, 12:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swkansasref33 View Post
Bob is correct. It is a delayed dead ball, as it allows for plays to be made on other runners. You call the interference immediately, but do not declare the runner out until the conclusion of play.
Which is not how I plan on doing it for reasons as shown in the OP. But it is the correct answer for an NCAA test:

"d. This is coach interference. It is a delayed dead ball. After the play, R2 is declared out and the other runners remain at the bases they obtained during the play."
Old Fri Feb 17, 2017, 12:36pm
Official Forum Member

IHSA out

According to the rules video I just watched, the call is the assisted runner is immediately called out and the play continues live. Having said that, i do believe the Umpire better be yelling OUT loudly and clearly so that the catcher knows the tag will be needed at home plate. I think this would cause a fuss regardless because the throw is coming in from left to a no-tag situation at the plate.. during midflight the coach grabs the runner on third. A smart coach would do this intentionally possibly to confuse the defense and have exactly what you had happened. Catcher doesnt tag, run scores, tied game is now a winner, based solely on the rules.

I would like to know Bob Jenkins updated take on this rule and my comment about if a coach did it intentionally in order to disrupt the defense (Although who knows if you could "prove" intentionally assistance).
Old Fri Feb 17, 2017, 12:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
This is exactly the part I was hoping would get discussed. At NCAA, you don't call the out. If, as intimated by a couple above, you DO call the out immediately, then you've removed the force, changing the result of the OP. You are NOT supposed to call this out, and as such, the force would remain in effect.

In high school, obviously, the force is off, the umpire called it (and as mentioned, hopefully loud), and the run scores if, as described, F2 doesn't tag the runner.

West Houston Mike
Old Fri Feb 17, 2017, 05:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
This is exactly the part I was hoping would get discussed. At NCAA, you don't call the out. If, as intimated by a couple above, you DO call the out immediately, then you've removed the force, changing the result of the OP. You are NOT supposed to call this out, and as such, the force would remain in effect.

In high school, obviously, the force is off, the umpire called it (and as mentioned, hopefully loud), and the run scores if, as described, F2 doesn't tag the runner.
I think we could come up with other inequities caused by not calling the out when occurs. Do you think the OP is the NCAA rational for the delayed out call?
Old Fri Feb 17, 2017, 05:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by umpjim View Post
I think we could come up with other inequities caused by not calling the out when occurs. Do you think the OP is the NCAA rational for the delayed out call?
I don't know their rationale.. but I do know that the rule is not only written that way, but it's driven home by a case play and a test question. Its clear they want it called that way... and if you do it the other way, you set up a protestable situation that can't be solved to either team's satisfaction.

West Houston Mike
Old Fri Feb 17, 2017, 10:03pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSBAL18 View Post
According to the rules video I just watched, the call is the assisted runner is immediately called out .
That's the HS and pro rule. NCAA is different.
Old Fri Feb 17, 2017, 11:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I don't know their rationale.. but I do know that the rule is not only written that way, but it's driven home by a case play and a test question. Its clear they want it called that way... and if you do it the other way, you set up a protestable situation that can't be solved to either team's satisfaction.
While the calling of the out is delayed, is the actual out delayed? Would a run score if the assist was the third out that happened before a runner from third scored when the assist occurred before the score and other plays followed.

Last edited by umpjim; Sat Feb 18, 2017 at 12:42am.
Old Sat Feb 18, 2017, 07:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by umpjim View Post
While the calling of the out is delayed, is the actual out delayed? Would a run score if the assist was the third out that happened before a runner from third scored when the assist occurred before the score and other plays followed.
This was my next question too. Say the OP occurs...F2 tags the plate for the force out of R3. Then, throws back towards third, but the throw sails to the left field foul pole. All three runners cross the plate. Obviously, R2 is out on the interference and his run doesn't score. But, what's the timing of that out? If it's after the play is over, do R1 and BR score?