The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old Fri Jul 15, 2016, 11:51am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Posts: 10
Hbp?

A legally pitched ball bounces off the ground and then hits the batter. Is this a hit by pitch even though it clearly hit ground 1st?
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old Fri Jul 15, 2016, 12:02pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Posts: 3,208
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmwttm View Post
A legally pitched ball bounces off the ground and then hits the batter. Is this a hit by pitch even though it clearly hit ground 1st?
Did it hit him? Was it a pitch?

Derive the answer please.

Alternative: Look up the definition of "Ball" in the official baseball rules.
__________________
Rich Ives
Different does not equate to wrong
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old Fri Jul 15, 2016, 02:41pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Katy, Texas
Posts: 8,033
What are you actually asking?

"HBP" is not in the rulebook. It's a scorer's designation to describe how a batter reached first base.

If you're really asking us --- does the batter get first, then that would depend on the ruleset you're using. Most, no. Some, yes. And whether it hit the ground or not is irrelevant. Whether they tried to avoid or not, and whether they were in the box or not are the relevant questions (again, depending on ruleset).
__________________
I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, 'I drank what?'

West Houston Mike
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old Fri Jul 15, 2016, 05:47pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 558
Send a message via AIM to BoomerSooner
The only consequences of a pitched ball hitting the ground is that it can no longer be considered a "caught pitch" or a strike unless the batter swings at it. The batter may still swing at the ball and if he misses, a strike is called. The batter can swing and hit it. Even if the ball bounces up and through the strike zone, it is a ball unless the batter swings at it. One interesting note that I discussed with one of my partners earlier in the season is that if the batter swings at a ball that bounces and hits a foul tip, even if the catcher catches it, it cannot be considered a caught foul tip.

If the pitch hits the batter with a bounced ball, the ball is dead and batter is awarded first base assuming he wasn't hit with it in the strike zone and made an "attempt" to avoid being hit (usually interpreted as didn't do anything to intentionally be hit by the ball, except in unusual circumstances where the ball has bounced 6 times and minimal effort is needed to avoid being hit).
__________________
My job is a decision-making job, and as a result, I make a lot of decisions." --George W. Bush
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old Fri Jul 15, 2016, 08:38pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Upper Midwest
Posts: 925
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomerSooner View Post
One interesting note that I discussed with one of my partners earlier in the season is that if the batter swings at a ball that bounces and hits a foul tip, even if the catcher catches it, it cannot be considered a caught foul tip.
Yes, it is a foul tip, same as any other. A foul tip is a batted ball, not a pitch.
__________________
"I don't think I'm very happy. I always fall asleep to the sound of my own screams...and then I always get woken up to the sound of my own screams. Do you think I'm unhappy?"
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old Fri Jul 15, 2016, 11:22pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Posts: 3,208
Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post
What are you actually asking?

"HBP" is not in the rulebook. It's a scorer's designation to describe how a batter reached first base.

If you're really asking us --- does the batter get first, then that would depend on the ruleset you're using. Most, no. Some, yes. And whether it hit the ground or not is irrelevant. Whether they tried to avoid or not, and whether they were in the box or not are the relevant questions (again, depending on ruleset).
Really? Gettting hit by a bounced pitch won't get you 1B in "most" rules? Really?
__________________
Rich Ives
Different does not equate to wrong
Reply With Quote
  #7 (permalink)  
Old Sun Jul 17, 2016, 07:35pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Southeastern Illinois
Posts: 56
Just because a pitched ball hits ground does not keep a batter from being awarded 1st base. There are several other things that would keep the batter from being awarded 1st base but not the ground.
Reply With Quote
  #8 (permalink)  
Old Mon Jul 18, 2016, 12:10pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Posts: 558
Send a message via AIM to BoomerSooner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt View Post
Yes, it is a foul tip, same as any other. A foul tip is a batted ball, not a pitch.
I see where I messed up. I missed part of the notation in rule 5.05(a)(3) that states if the batter swings at such a pitch [bounced pitch] that it cannot be caught for the purposes of rule 5.05(b) and 5.09(a)(3).

I missed the (3).
__________________
My job is a decision-making job, and as a result, I make a lot of decisions." --George W. Bush
Reply With Quote
  #9 (permalink)  
Old Tue Jul 19, 2016, 03:33pm
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: Katy, Texas
Posts: 8,033
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Ives View Post
Really? Gettting hit by a bounced pitch won't get you 1B in "most" rules? Really?
I'm envisioning the pitch going: lob ... bounce ... batter stands there ... ball hits batter. Didn't mean to imply one that comes in at 85 and skips off the ground 1 foot in front of the batter and kills his ankle.

And I should have said that up front.
__________________
I was thinking of the immortal words of Socrates, who said, 'I drank what?'

West Houston Mike
Reply With Quote
  #10 (permalink)  
Old Wed Jul 20, 2016, 08:39am
Official Forum Member
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Posts: 17,448
Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post
I'm envisioning the pitch going: lob ... bounce ... batter stands there ... ball hits batter. Didn't mean to imply one that comes in at 85 and skips off the ground 1 foot in front of the batter and kills his ankle.

And I should have said that up front.
If the pitch hits the ground, I'm giving the batter first as long as the batter doesn't move into the pitch after it's bounced. I don't care if the batter just stands there and watches it hit him.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:34am.



Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.0 RC1