Thread: Hbp?
View Single Post
Old Fri Jul 15, 2016, 05:47pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to BoomerSooner
The only consequences of a pitched ball hitting the ground is that it can no longer be considered a "caught pitch" or a strike unless the batter swings at it. The batter may still swing at the ball and if he misses, a strike is called. The batter can swing and hit it. Even if the ball bounces up and through the strike zone, it is a ball unless the batter swings at it. One interesting note that I discussed with one of my partners earlier in the season is that if the batter swings at a ball that bounces and hits a foul tip, even if the catcher catches it, it cannot be considered a caught foul tip.

If the pitch hits the batter with a bounced ball, the ball is dead and batter is awarded first base assuming he wasn't hit with it in the strike zone and made an "attempt" to avoid being hit (usually interpreted as didn't do anything to intentionally be hit by the ball, except in unusual circumstances where the ball has bounced 6 times and minimal effort is needed to avoid being hit).