The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Baseball (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/)
-   -   Hbp? (https://forum.officiating.com/baseball/101494-hbp.html)

Rmwttm Fri Jul 15, 2016 11:51am

Hbp?

A legally pitched ball bounces off the ground and then hits the batter. Is this a hit by pitch even though it clearly hit ground 1st?

Rich Ives Fri Jul 15, 2016 12:02pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rmwttm (Post 989187)
A legally pitched ball bounces off the ground and then hits the batter. Is this a hit by pitch even though it clearly hit ground 1st?

Did it hit him? Was it a pitch?

Derive the answer please.

Alternative: Look up the definition of "Ball" in the official baseball rules.

MD Longhorn Fri Jul 15, 2016 02:41pm

What are you actually asking?

"HBP" is not in the rulebook. It's a scorer's designation to describe how a batter reached first base.

If you're really asking us --- does the batter get first, then that would depend on the ruleset you're using. Most, no. Some, yes. And whether it hit the ground or not is irrelevant. Whether they tried to avoid or not, and whether they were in the box or not are the relevant questions (again, depending on ruleset).

BoomerSooner Fri Jul 15, 2016 05:47pm

The only consequences of a pitched ball hitting the ground is that it can no longer be considered a "caught pitch" or a strike unless the batter swings at it. The batter may still swing at the ball and if he misses, a strike is called. The batter can swing and hit it. Even if the ball bounces up and through the strike zone, it is a ball unless the batter swings at it. One interesting note that I discussed with one of my partners earlier in the season is that if the batter swings at a ball that bounces and hits a foul tip, even if the catcher catches it, it cannot be considered a caught foul tip.

If the pitch hits the batter with a bounced ball, the ball is dead and batter is awarded first base assuming he wasn't hit with it in the strike zone and made an "attempt" to avoid being hit (usually interpreted as didn't do anything to intentionally be hit by the ball, except in unusual circumstances where the ball has bounced 6 times and minimal effort is needed to avoid being hit).

Matt Fri Jul 15, 2016 08:38pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BoomerSooner (Post 989193)
One interesting note that I discussed with one of my partners earlier in the season is that if the batter swings at a ball that bounces and hits a foul tip, even if the catcher catches it, it cannot be considered a caught foul tip.

Yes, it is a foul tip, same as any other. A foul tip is a batted ball, not a pitch.

Rich Ives Fri Jul 15, 2016 11:22pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by MD Longhorn (Post 989191)
What are you actually asking?

"HBP" is not in the rulebook. It's a scorer's designation to describe how a batter reached first base.

If you're really asking us --- does the batter get first, then that would depend on the ruleset you're using. Most, no. Some, yes. And whether it hit the ground or not is irrelevant. Whether they tried to avoid or not, and whether they were in the box or not are the relevant questions (again, depending on ruleset).

Really? Gettting hit by a bounced pitch won't get you 1B in "most" rules? Really?

illinoisbluezeb Sun Jul 17, 2016 07:35pm

Just because a pitched ball hits ground does not keep a batter from being awarded 1st base. There are several other things that would keep the batter from being awarded 1st base but not the ground.

BoomerSooner Mon Jul 18, 2016 12:10pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Matt (Post 989194)
Yes, it is a foul tip, same as any other. A foul tip is a batted ball, not a pitch.

I see where I messed up. I missed part of the notation in rule 5.05(a)(3) that states if the batter swings at such a pitch [bounced pitch] that it cannot be caught for the purposes of rule 5.05(b) and 5.09(a)(3).

I missed the (3).

MD Longhorn Tue Jul 19, 2016 03:33pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rich Ives (Post 989195)
Really? Gettting hit by a bounced pitch won't get you 1B in "most" rules? Really?

I'm envisioning the pitch going: lob ... bounce ... batter stands there ... ball hits batter. Didn't mean to imply one that comes in at 85 and skips off the ground 1 foot in front of the batter and kills his ankle.

And I should have said that up front.

bob jenkins Wed Jul 20, 2016 08:39am

Quote:

Originally Posted by MD Longhorn (Post 989252)
I'm envisioning the pitch going: lob ... bounce ... batter stands there ... ball hits batter. Didn't mean to imply one that comes in at 85 and skips off the ground 1 foot in front of the batter and kills his ankle.

And I should have said that up front.

If the pitch hits the ground, I'm giving the batter first as long as the batter doesn't move into the pitch after it's bounced. I don't care if the batter just stands there and watches it hit him.