Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Sep 06, 2015, 09:27pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CT1 View Post
Alabama.
Grab every strike you can. Every strike is another pitch closer to the finish.
Old Thu Sep 10, 2015, 02:36pm
Paul

At no point did I say catching it within the catcher's frame makes it a strike. I'm just responding to the original question about framing and what (most) announcers are referring to. Yes, there is still the old school mentality of moving the glove towards the center a small amount, but it's falling off more every year.

That said, if you think catchers can't steal strikes you're fooling yourself. In depth studies have been done that show me enough to continue to teach my catchers the art of the ankle sway and keeping the ball within the window of their body, while getting around those borderline corner pitches.

Framing wouldn't even be a concept if umps were perfect at seeing if it touched the strike zone. But good catchers steal strikes all the time, at every level of the game.
Old Thu Sep 10, 2015, 02:46pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Steal strikes?

Here's a secret - I wish I had 2 good framers every game. If it's borderline, I want that catcher to help as much as possible.

On the other hand, a catcher that butchers a cockshot isn't gonna lose a strike.
Old Thu Sep 10, 2015, 05:06pm
Official Forum Member

Lol

Quote:
" . . . if you think catchers can't steal strikes you're fooling yourself."
What an arrogant prick.

Tee
Old Sun Sep 13, 2015, 09:34pm
Paul

Try educating yourself before deflecting on others. In depth studies have been done on stealing strikes. I didn't coin the phrase.

Now that may have been a little arrogant.
Old Mon Sep 14, 2015, 09:17am
Official Forum Member

I sure that I am influenced by the catcher when I am calling balls & strikes. I know I shouldn't be, but I'm human and expect that more than just what I am concentrating on, the position of the ball as it passes over the plate, influences my call.
Old Mon Sep 14, 2015, 10:09am
Official Forum Member

Lol

As you all know there is a website dedicated to evaluating MLB catchers and the quality of their framing.

Again, it is simply statistics and numbers don't lie.

Tee
Old Sun Oct 11, 2015, 08:35pm
Official Forum Member

The Art of Pitch Framing
Well I am certainly wiser than this man. It is only too likely that neither of us has any knowledge to boast of; but he thinks that he knows something which he does not know, whereas I am quite conscious of my ignorance. At any rate it seems that I am wiser than he is to this small extent, that I do not think that I know what I do not know. ~Socrates