Thread: Illegal number
View Single Post
Old Mon Dec 01, 2014, 03:29pm
This IS My Social Life

The "Accusatory Point"

Quote:
Originally Posted by RefCT View Post
I've seen more experienced officials in my area point to the bench of the offending player while stating the color when reporting. They say it helps when it is really noisy. I've started doing that in gyms when I can barely hear myself think.
The "Accusatory Point."
Our state prohibited it several years ago. Problem is, few officials, and even fewer trainers, actually got the memo. Is still found, albeit rarely, in our association.
I don't like it for another reason than the one they gave when asking us not to do it any more: point to the scorer's right and the scorer tabulates a foul on that side of his/her book; problem is the team that fouled is on the other side of the book.
Most of the time gym volume inhibits communication between officials and table when officials try to say too much. Ain't difficult for any table personnel to hear the report of a color. "Red." "White." The color, the only word actually necessary to verbalize to the table in any gym, loud or not, seems quite easy to communicate.
We really need the Eagle's opinion of this.