The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Dec 06, 2013, 11:49am
AremRed

Team throws at PU

If this has been posted before let me know.

Old Fri Dec 06, 2013, 04:25pm
Call it as I see it.

That is one of my good friends behind the plate total bs by the coach.
Old Fri Dec 06, 2013, 05:24pm
Official Forum Member

Ummmm wow. What happened to the coach? The ump kick his ass?
Old Fri Dec 06, 2013, 05:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insane Blue View Post
Have seen posted in other forums supposedly coach was called in and threw the catcher under the bus. Said it was all her doing and he had no knowledge of it. Heard coach and possibly pitcher were reinstated and allowed to continue playing in the tournament. You heard anything from your friend of any fallout from it?

It did start making some news yesterday. Was picked up by USA Today.
Old Fri Dec 06, 2013, 07:21pm
Official Forum Member

Discussion on Ultimate College Softball Forum.
Old Fri Dec 06, 2013, 10:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insane Blue View Post
Aside from the fact that this is inexcusable, there are some things that your friend does that makes me wonder about his training or maybe softball is different.
He tracks the ball with his head.
His indicator is in his right hand.
A no sht foul and fair ball are signaled.

That's all I saw in the first half inning but if this is a college level game I would be surprised unless softball does it differently.

Is your friend trained?
Old Sat Dec 07, 2013, 09:45pm
Official Forum Member

I had this happen to me at Rising Stars in '06.

I posted on eteamz and Steve M said if I thought they were throwing at me they were!

I was too new to realize what happened, so I didn't do anything about it.
Old Sat Dec 07, 2013, 11:18pm
Official Forum Member

are you suggesting that you think he was not trained based upon viewing this video?

when have you ever seen a college coach wearing shorts while coaching a game?

Quote:
Originally Posted by umpjim View Post
Aside from the fact that this is inexcusable, there are some things that your friend does that makes me wonder about his training or maybe softball is different.

That's all I saw in the first half inning but if this is a college level game I would be surprised unless softball does it differently.

Is your friend trained?
Old Sun Dec 08, 2013, 11:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shagpal View Post
are you suggesting that you think he was not trained based upon viewing this video?

Im wondering if he has had any training because in the full game video I noticed the head movement while tracking pitches and indicator in right hand. Those things would be corrected at any baseball umpire clinic. I think somewhere they say that this was a showcase for aspiring college players so that's why I presumed a college level game.
Old Sun Dec 08, 2013, 12:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Im wondering if he has had any training because in the full game video I noticed the head movement while tracking pitches and indicator in right hand. Those things would be corrected at any baseball umpire clinic. I think somewhere they say that this was a showcase for aspiring college players so that's why I presumed a college level game.
Page 238 of the ASA umpire manual

"The umpire then tracks the ball from the pitcher's hand to the catcher's glove or to the ground. Tracking the ball is the act of watching the ball from the pitcher's hand into the catcher's glove using a slight movement of the head guided by the nose. Tracking is not an exaggerated head movement or just an eye movement. It is a movement of the nose which simultaneously brings the head with the pitch as the eyes are locked on the ball."

As for the indicator, maybe he is left handed, maybe he has a physical disability with his left hand which makes it difficult to operate the indicator, who knows. I know a guy who umpires who does not have a left hand. Does being physically unable to hold or operate an indicator with the left hand preclude a person from being able to umpire? Bottom line is, what difference does it make if he was tracking the ball with his head, or if he had the indicator in his right hand to being purposely plunked with the ball?

Last edited by RKBUmp; Sun Dec 08, 2013 at 12:28pm.
Old Sun Dec 08, 2013, 12:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shagpal View Post

I doubt that this was a college game
Old Sun Dec 08, 2013, 12:41pm
Official Forum Member

It was a college showcase tournament, it was not a college game.
Old Sun Dec 08, 2013, 12:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
He's obviously had softball training, since we get to uncorrect what tracking mechanics baseball umpire clinics screw up on softball umpires. It isn't physically possible to actually track a pitch all the way without moving the head; it's a shame that baseball is so focused on not moving the head that it forces their umpires to lose focus on the ball.
Old Sun Dec 08, 2013, 12:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Just like he is supposed to do. What's your point?

Quote:
There may be a reason, or it could just be because he wasn't trained properly, we don't know

Quote:
Huh?

Quote:
While it has nothing to do with the instance at hand, it is somewhat of a valid statement. Showcases in this area demand umpires of collegiate caliber work these games so the teams/players can concentrate on playing and not the umpiring.
Old Sun Dec 08, 2013, 03:05pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RKBUmp View Post
Page 238 of the ASA umpire manual

"The umpire then tracks the ball from the pitcher's hand to the catcher's glove or to the ground. Tracking the ball is the act of watching the ball from the pitcher's hand into the catcher's glove using a slight movement of the head guided by the nose. Tracking is not an exaggerated head movement or just an eye movement. It is a movement of the nose which simultaneously brings the head with the pitch as the eyes are locked on the ball."

As for the indicator, maybe he is left handed, maybe he has a physical disability with his left hand which makes it difficult to operate the indicator, who knows. I know a guy who umpires who does not have a left hand. Does being physically unable to hold or operate an indicator with the left hand preclude a person from being able to umpire? Bottom line is, what difference does it make if he was tracking the ball with his head, or if he had the indicator in his right hand to being purposely plunked with the ball?
That explains it then. Softball is different. Anyway, there is no justification for what happened and I look forward to hearing of severe ramifications.