The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Apr 02, 2009, 09:11am
Official Forum Member

Scoring question

2 outs and a runner on third. Pitcher throws a strike 3 looking pitch, the catcher cannot hold onto the ball and the runner scores from 3rd. Runner advances to 1st.

How is that scored as an earned or unearned run?

According to the explanation I got the dropped strike 3 should have been the end of the inning and an error charged to E2. It cannot be considered a wild pitch or passed ball due to the pitch being a strike 3 looking. The run should be considered unearned as well as any run after that because the inning should have been over.

What are your thoughts on this?

Thanks
Old Thu Apr 02, 2009, 09:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by archer View Post
...What are your thoughts on this?...

Old Thu Apr 02, 2009, 09:35am
Official Forum Member

? whats your post suppose to mean? I ask a serious question and I get this????????
Old Thu Apr 02, 2009, 09:47am
Official Forum Member

It means...

Although there are a few umpires who give a flying crap about score keeping.. most do not.

You would do better and be sure of the advice you are getting from a scorekeeping site or a fan site.

Your question is for mommy's in straw hats, not umpires. The run scored robbing us of an well earned easy out. We can just hope it did not tie the game.
Old Thu Apr 02, 2009, 09:53am
Official Forum Member

Guys, guys... C'mon, let's not be rude here...

What ruleset are you asking about?

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Thu Apr 02, 2009, 09:55am
Official Forum Member

LOL

"what ruleset"

Thats a good one.
Old Thu Apr 02, 2009, 10:01am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadeintothem View Post
LOL

"what ruleset"

Thats a good one.
Guess I'm a little tired from last night's games. Man, I'm out of shape. Can't concentrate this morning...

Someone at least throw an answer out there...

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Old Thu Apr 02, 2009, 10:09am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
? whats your post suppose to mean? I ask a serious question and I get this????????
Quote:
It means...

Although there are a few umpires who give a flying crap about score keeping.. most do not.

You would do better and be sure of the advice you are getting from a scorekeeping site or a fan site.

Your question is for mommy's in straw hats, not umpires. The run scored robbing us of an well earned easy out. We can just hope it did not tie the game.
Yeah, that's it.
Old Thu Apr 02, 2009, 10:15am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Only because you asked.

You need to understand this is an umpire board. As umpires, we really don't care how anything is scored.

You may get an answer from someone who dips into that side of the pool, but, in general, many umpires just don't care.

You may want to ask your question on a site/board that is more team-oriented.
Old Thu Apr 02, 2009, 10:16am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
2 outs and a runner on third. Pitcher throws a strike 3 looking pitch, the catcher cannot hold onto the ball and the runner scores from 3rd. Runner advances to 1st.

How is that scored as an earned or unearned run?

According to the explanation I got the dropped strike 3 should have been the end of the inning and an error charged to E2. It cannot be considered a wild pitch or passed ball due to the pitch being a strike 3 looking. The run should be considered unearned as well as any run after that because the inning should have been over.

What are your thoughts on this?

Thanks
That explanation sucks. The inability of a catcher to catch a pitched ball is not an error; ever. It is either a wild pitch or a passed ball, those categories exist for the sole purpose of describing when a catcher doesn't catch a pitch and runners advance as a result.

If the ball should have been caught, it is a passed ball, and the run scored is unearned. If the pitch was one that missed the target, or bounced, so that it isn't really the catcher's fault, it is a wild pitch and an earned run.

Answered only to close the thread, not because it belongs in an officials' site.
Old Thu Apr 02, 2009, 10:18am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve View Post

Answered only to close the thread, not because it belongs in an officials' site.
And you were doing so well, and then BAM!!!!
Old Thu Apr 02, 2009, 03:28pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtlUmpSteve View Post
That explanation sucks. The inability of a catcher to catch a pitched ball is not an error; ever. It is either a wild pitch or a passed ball, those categories exist for the sole purpose of describing when a catcher doesn't catch a pitch and runners advance as a result.

If the ball should have been caught, it is a passed ball, and the run scored is unearned. If the pitch was one that missed the target, or bounced, so that it isn't really the catcher's fault, it is a wild pitch and an earned run.

I would think this is how every set of scoring rules does it. I know Steve is right for OBR. (Yes, I've read OBR Rule 10. I often keep score when I go to watch games. There, I said it.)

That said,
Quote:
It means...

Wade's answer is my favorite.
Old Thu Apr 02, 2009, 03:32pm
Official Forum Member

First of all I am on official, I spend my time on the BB thread b/c that is the sport I officiate. I came on here b/c my DD is the pitcher and I needed an explanation, not a bunch of smart *** LL umpire cute remarks.
If this part of the forum has turned into a self gratification dear abby column, then maybe I should be going to the straw hat mommy.

The question was posed as a serious question b/c it affects her ERA and she is wanting to go to college and pitch. There is a dispute in the ruling and I needed information from the experts. So unlike the Basketball thread I see that this SB thread is for basically rec league and LL umpires that think a smart *** answer is gonna make their buddies snicker.
Old Thu Apr 02, 2009, 03:43pm
Official Forum Member

I am on official too.
ROFL... this board cracks me up.
Old Thu Apr 02, 2009, 03:45pm
Official Forum Member

Relax, archer... I think you just touched a button with a number of the umpires here by asking a question that clearly sounded like a parent asking for a clarification that impacted their DD.

You see, we get these questions all the time, and we hate getting dragged into a fight that's not ours. It's kind of like the mechanic (or, in my case, computer tech) who always gets asked "what's wrong with this?" In the end, we get dragged into it, and it kind of gets old.

So take my apology for what it's worth, and take all of this with a grain of salt.

We're not a bad bunch, really!