The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: For timed games, I...
Use my wrist watch (on my wrist) and fumble / mumble through hours:mins math 1 1.52%
Use my watch (not on my wrist) but still fumble / mumble through hours:mins math 10 15.15%
Use a countup timer, but fumble / mumble with hours:min math when coach asks for time left 6 9.09%
Use a countdown timer that beeps when time expires so I never even have to look at it 30 45.45%
Put a timer on the fence for all to see because it is required where I umpire 8 12.12%
Put a timer on the fence even though they are banned. I like contributing to the collection. 0 0%
Put a timer on the fence because I like it that way. 8 12.12%
I use my cell phone, fumble / mumble with hrs:min math. It hasn't been hit yet 3 4.55%
I pretend to use a timer / watch but actually I shave time. You think I have all day here? 0 0%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jul 08, 2008, 01:20pm
Official Forum Member

Timer / watch

Just for fun... when you do timed games, what "equipment" do you use?
Old Tue Jul 08, 2008, 01:33pm
Official Forum Member

Local ump sent me to Target in the kitchen section. They have a double timer, fairly small unit. Each timer can be set individually so it makes it nice for no new inning and drop dead games. I believe it was $11.95.
Old Tue Jul 08, 2008, 01:36pm
Official Forum Member

I have broken, lost, or forgotten and left on a fence way too many "timers" over the years to use that item. I have been buying inexpensive Timex, Armitron, or equivalent (in the $20 to $30 range) multifunction sports watches with countdown timers, and use them as my primary watch and timer. I keep it in my pocket, ball bag, or hang it from a belt loop (if/when championship dress isn't an issue).

I generally announce when it is that I am starting the clock, add what time is on mine, and suggest they look at their own to see what time they have. I prefer the countdown function that will beep when time is up, to a count-up timer that requires more attention from me. I also prefer not doing any math to calculate how much time is left, when asked. In any event, the combination of announcing "we're on the clock", and "I have 6:31 on my watch; you can look at your's to see what time YOU have", and answering whenever asked how much time is left, have made the fact that it isn't hanging on a fence "for all to see" (as well to help one or both teams to attempt to manipulate) a non-issue.

If there is both a "no new" time and a "drop dead" time, I set for the "drop dead", then check when necessary to see if/when we are past the "no new" time.

Last edited by AtlUmpSteve; Tue Jul 08, 2008 at 01:42pm.
Old Tue Jul 08, 2008, 01:36pm
Official Forum Member

I use to go with a small Timex in my ball bag...but I've gone to the dark side and now use a kitchen timer....

It just seems to save the uneeded conversations at the end of games. Now timer goes off EVERYBODY knows time has expired.....
Old Tue Jul 08, 2008, 01:39pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dakota
Mask,chest protector, cup,shin guards, indicator, brush, flip coin, lineup holder.
Oh, you mean timinq equpment.

A stop watch in my pocket (Casio "multifunction sports watch").
A display timer if the tournament or UIC provides one.
I do not synchronize time of day with anyone, just announce "timer starting now".
In most tourneys, that is shortly after the plate conference, when I have told the coaches the above.
Old Tue Jul 08, 2008, 01:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
My wrist watch, which I put in the half-pocket in my ball-bag.

Before we break from the plate conference, I tell the coaches that the time begins on the first game pitch. After the first pitch comes in and F2 is throwing it back, I look at the time and make a mental note. At the half-inning, I write it on one of the lineups for reference. I then add the time limit (i.e.: do the math) at that time while I'm waiting and write that right below the first time.

When the coach asks me how much time is left, I look at my watch and tell him. If he questions further, I can pull out the lineup and show him that I noted the time earlier.
Old Tue Jul 08, 2008, 01:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Put a timer on the fence even though they are banned. I like contributing to the collection.
a$s.

Old Tue Jul 08, 2008, 02:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
During tournaments where the UIC wants a timer on the fence, I use an Eagle Timer. Otherwise I use a carabiner clip watch that's worn on a belt loop. It's long enough that the watch enters the top of my front pocket.
Old Tue Jul 08, 2008, 03:56pm
Official Forum Member

I put the countdown timer on the fence, after pregame I walk over to the timer, announce we are on the clock and hit the start button. Then I ask the official book what time he has and write it on their lineup card. Covers all the bases, so far.

NFHS
USSSA
Old Tue Jul 08, 2008, 05:03pm
Official Forum Member

None of the above. I cut the straps off of a wrist watch and velcroved it to the back of my indicator.
Old Tue Jul 08, 2008, 05:06pm
Official Forum Member

BTW...

best placement of timer?
Old Tue Jul 08, 2008, 05:19pm
Official Forum Member

I also don't use any of these: I've got the official scorer to keep time...

Ik ben niet gek, doe alleen alsof! Gaat me goed af toch?
Old Tue Jul 08, 2008, 05:32pm
Official Forum Member

There is no option for me.

I keep a watch in my left hip pocket and have had absolutely no problem with the math since the Kinddergarten.
Old Tue Jul 08, 2008, 05:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stu Clary
None of the above. I cut the straps off of a wrist watch and velcroved it to the back of my indicator.
Ditto
Old Tue Jul 08, 2008, 05:53pm
Official Forum Member

I use countdown time but keep it in vibrating mode. That way I know when it is up and it feels so good when it goes off