Thread: Timer / watch
View Single Post
Old Tue Jul 08, 2008, 01:36pm
Official Forum Member

I have broken, lost, or forgotten and left on a fence way too many "timers" over the years to use that item. I have been buying inexpensive Timex, Armitron, or equivalent (in the $20 to $30 range) multifunction sports watches with countdown timers, and use them as my primary watch and timer. I keep it in my pocket, ball bag, or hang it from a belt loop (if/when championship dress isn't an issue).

I generally announce when it is that I am starting the clock, add what time is on mine, and suggest they look at their own to see what time they have. I prefer the countdown function that will beep when time is up, to a count-up timer that requires more attention from me. I also prefer not doing any math to calculate how much time is left, when asked. In any event, the combination of announcing "we're on the clock", and "I have 6:31 on my watch; you can look at your's to see what time YOU have", and answering whenever asked how much time is left, have made the fact that it isn't hanging on a fence "for all to see" (as well to help one or both teams to attempt to manipulate) a non-issue.

If there is both a "no new" time and a "drop dead" time, I set for the "drop dead", then check when necessary to see if/when we are past the "no new" time.

Last edited by AtlUmpSteve; Tue Jul 08, 2008 at 01:42pm.