The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Mar 01, 2008, 06:42pm
Official Forum Member

Countdown Timer

My countdown timer finally bit the dirt and I need a new one. The one that just went out on me was a great pocket one with vibrating mode...boy I loved that feature !!! Anyway the price on it has jumped to $45. Don't want to spend that kind of cash if possible.

I've seen some indicators with the timers built in. Where can you get those, or any other ideas.
Old Sat Mar 01, 2008, 08:04pm
Official Forum Member

If you look back in old threads, you will see this topic has also been discussed before. However, I use a $12.00 watch with a timer function. It is strapped to the right temple guard of my mask, and is only on there when games are timed. College and varsity HS it is no where to be seen.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Sat Mar 01, 2008, 10:29pm
Official Forum Member

In our area, mostly everyone uses Kitchen timers clipped on the fence. In fact, usually, whoever goes on the field first sets up theirs and it stays for the whole tourney day.
Old Sat Mar 01, 2008, 10:44pm
GrumpUmp

I've used kitchen timers and the Eagle Timer. If what you are looking for is really a pocket timer that vibrates then you might want to check this out for $12.95.

http://lucidsage.com/prd_personal_alarm.html

I did a Google search "count down timer vibrate" and got several options. Good luck.
Old Sat Mar 01, 2008, 11:20pm
Official Forum Member

I believe Honig's used to sell an indicator that had either a timer or a clock on it. I don't see it on their website anymore, but it may still be around.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Sat Mar 01, 2008, 11:51pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCASAUmp
I believe Honig's used to sell an indicator that had either a timer or a clock on it. I don't see it on their website anymore, but it may still be around.
It's model# K45C, but doesnt show in the Honigs listings, or come up on the search. They do have one with a retractable plate brush! (dumb idea)

It does show up on the UK Honigs page.

I have one (mrs has one also) and they are nice for timed games. The functions are; countdown timer, stop watch, and 2 time zones with alarm.

http://www.honigs-europe.com/detail....ub=38&Item=386
Old Sun Mar 02, 2008, 01:19pm
Official Forum Member

I bought a small (womens or childs) wrist watch with a countdown timer I cut off the straps and used velcro to put it on the back of my indicator.
Works great to both countdown on timed games or even use as a clock to know what time it is without bringing out a watch.
Old Sun Mar 02, 2008, 06:57pm
Official Forum Member

Thanks for the input! Can't imagine wearing a timer on my mask though!!

Here's what I have used in the past, it's really good just not sure it's $45 good! Price doubled over the last year. http://www.epill.com/count.html

I sent an e-mail to Honigs to see if they have that one in the US.

Thanks again
Old Sun Mar 02, 2008, 07:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEL
It's model# K45C, but doesnt show in the Honigs listings, or come up on the search. They do have one with a retractable plate brush! (dumb idea)

It does show up on the UK Honigs page.

I have one (mrs has one also) and they are nice for timed games. The functions are; countdown timer, stop watch, and 2 time zones with alarm.

http://www.honigs-europe.com/detail....ub=38&Item=386
I've emailed Honig's, asking them what happened to this product. Let's see what they say.

I haven't decided if I should call it from the dugout or the outfield. Apparently, both have really great views!

Screw green, it ain't easy being blue!

I won't be coming here that much anymore. I might check in now and again.
Old Sun Mar 02, 2008, 09:02pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dholloway1962
Thanks for the input! Can't imagine wearing a timer on my mask though!!
Why not? No one notices it. You wouldn't even notice it was there. But, as with so many things, it is just a matter of personal preference.

Old Sun Mar 02, 2008, 09:10pm
Official Forum Member

I'll second Wade on this one. Kitchen timer on fence; count up, count down, time of day, and it beeps. Coaches can look at it when they change sides. Those of us with hi freq hearing loss won't hear it, but all those younger ears along the fence will let you know.

$8 at your local discount store.

WMB
Old Sun Mar 02, 2008, 10:10pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestMichBlue
I'll second Wade on this one. Kitchen timer on fence; count up, count down, time of day, and it beeps. Coaches can look at it when they change sides. Those of us with hi freq hearing loss won't hear it, but all those younger ears along the fence will let you know.

$8 at your local discount store.

WMB
The only down side, you cant shave off a few minutes like those who hide the clock in their pocket do... (well its much tougher!)

Other than that, great. Preset the time limit.. press the memory button and you are off.. also uses 1AA battery, no weird batteries.

Oh, mine did not hold up well in the rain.. it did recover, but failed during the rain, luckily I have a back up digital stop watch that is on my water bottle holder... so was no problem.

I cant see wearing a watch on your mask (someone recommended this, never heard of it before).. if a ball hits that and it shatters into your face or a girls face, you are in a heap of trouble.
Old Mon Mar 03, 2008, 09:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadeintothem
The only down side, you cant shave off a few minutes like those who hide the clock in their pocket do... (well its much tougher!)

Other than that, great. Preset the time limit.. press the memory button and you are off.. also uses 1AA battery, no weird batteries.

Oh, mine did not hold up well in the rain.. it did recover, but failed during the rain, luckily I have a back up digital stop watch that is on my water bottle holder... so was no problem.

I cant see wearing a watch on your mask (someone recommended this, never heard of it before).. if a ball hits that and it shatters into your face or a girls face, you are in a heap of trouble.
The ball can't hit it, the mask protects it. It is on the back side of the temple guard, very well protected. I have taken shots there and it, and I, and the players, are all fine. Now a timer on a fence can easily be hit, shatter into a million pieces that go flying everywhere.

Old Mon Mar 03, 2008, 10:37am
Official Forum Member

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skahtboi
Now a timer on a fence can easily be hit,
Well, let's see - I have about 40' to 50' of fence behind me up to 6' high where I may hang my 2" x 3" timer. So my timer represents an area of 6 sq inch against a target area of 45,000 to 50,000 sq inches. That is like 0.00012 % of the area. Probability of a 12 sq in softball hitting it? ? ? ?

Of course, if Murphy is at bat, the timer will get hit every game!

WMB
Old Mon Mar 03, 2008, 11:15am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestMichBlue
Well, let's see - I have about 40' to 50' of fence behind me up to 6' high where I may hang my 2" x 3" timer. So my timer represents an area of 6 sq inch against a target area of 45,000 to 50,000 sq inches. That is like 0.00012 % of the area. Probability of a 12 sq in softball hitting it? ? ? ?

Of course, if Murphy is at bat, the timer will get hit every game!

WMB
But on the fence it has nothing, other than area, to protect it. On my mask it has the protection of the temple guard, which is like putting a cage around the timer.

Look, I am not trying to sway any of you to do it "my way (read convenient and intelligent )," I was just offering up a suggestion to the OP.