The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Dec 13, 2006, 03:19pm
Official Forum Member

Inbounds after hoop....

I can't find this in the books.....after made basket by team A player from team B secures ball and goes OOB to begin throwin. He then passes to OOB teammate along baseline who then will inbound....can that player pass back to the original inbounder? Also I am pretty sure he can also roam/run the baseline as could the original inbounder...there is an article in our paper claiming that this happened at the end of a local game and is illegal. I hope someone can point me to rule reference.
Old Wed Dec 13, 2006, 03:23pm
We don't rent pigs

Check out rule 7-5-7

Lonesome Dove
Old Wed Dec 13, 2006, 03:26pm
Official Forum Member

I found that, but it doesn't answer my questions as to what that player is able to do........ My guess would be if there isn't language against these actions, it is OK....

Last edited by zebra44; Wed Dec 13, 2006 at 03:40pm.
Old Wed Dec 13, 2006, 03:39pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebra44
I found that, but it doesn't answer my questions as to what that player is able to do........
Yes, it does. It says that the throw-in can be anywhere at the end of the court outside the end line, and that they can pass the ball along the line to teammates(s) outside the boundary line. That's "teammates"- plural.

Never believe what you read in your local newspaper re: rules interpretations.
Old Wed Dec 13, 2006, 03:42pm
Official Forum Member

OK, you are saying that the teammates can pass the ball between them, and they also have free run of the endline....just so the 5 count is not violated.
Old Wed Dec 13, 2006, 03:58pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
OK, you are saying that the teammates can pass the ball between them, and they also have free run of the endline....just so the 5 count is not violated.
No, the rules say that, not me. As JAR said, rule 7-5-7 states the first part. Rule 9-2-4 relates to the 5-second count.
Old Wed Dec 13, 2006, 04:28pm
Official Forum Member

I don't think that both B12 and B10 can be OOB passing the ball back and forth though. Or did I miss that in the rule that was cited?
Old Wed Dec 13, 2006, 04:35pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEAREF
I don't think that both B12 and B10 can be OOB passing the ball back and forth though. Or did I miss that in the rule that was cited?
Sure they can, if it's not a designated spot throw-in. All 5 B players can be OOB practising a Globetrotters' routine if they want, as long as one of them throws a pass towards the court before the end of the 5-second court.
Old Wed Dec 13, 2006, 04:37pm
Official Forum Member

So we have to do a lot of "reading between the lines" on this one....
Old Wed Dec 13, 2006, 04:38pm
Official Forum Member

this is a very simple concept and situation that doesn't need debate...

during a throw in when a team can run the endline -- they can pass to anynumber of teammates on that endline and they (teammates) can run that endline. the only violations are that the player with the ball steps inbounds, a 5 count, or if a player misses a pass and it bounces in bounds and he touches it while still oob -- then you have an oob violation.
Old Wed Dec 13, 2006, 04:42pm
Official Forum Member

Gotcha...just wanted ironclad evidence before I showed the scribe the error of his ways........
Old Wed Dec 13, 2006, 04:47pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
So we have to do a lot of "reading between the lines" on this one....
What am I missing here?

Rule 7-5-7 states- "the team not credited with the goal shall make the throw-in from the end of the court where the goal was made and from any point outside the end line". It also says "Any player of the team may make a direct throw-in or he/she may pass the ball along the end line to a teammmate(s) outside the boundary line".

There's no "reading between the lines" involved. The rule explicitly states what you can legally do.
Old Thu Dec 14, 2006, 10:45am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to crazy voyager
FIBA:
The player, who makes the throw-in, may move backwards or forward and is allowed to pass the ball to a teammate on or behind the line. However the 5-seconds count starts when the first player has the ball and is ready to make the throw-in.

not exact(!) quotation scince I'm translating from the swedish version
Old Thu Dec 14, 2006, 11:49am
Official Forum Member

So...this makes me think of a play I saw recently where A1 and A2 were attempting to pass the ball to each other OOB after a made basket.

A1 makes an inbounds pass to A2. A2 - in-bounds but right next to the end line - jumps from the court, catches the in-bounds pass in the air, and lands with both feet OOB. Violation?

How about the opposite? A1 passes to A2 who jumps from OOB, catches ball in air, lands with both feet on the court. Violation?
Old Thu Dec 14, 2006, 11:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Cramer
So...this makes me think of a play I saw recently where A1 and A2 were attempting to pass the ball to each other OOB after a made basket.

A1 makes an inbounds pass to A2. A2 - in-bounds but right next to the end line - jumps from the court, catches the in-bounds pass in the air, and lands with both feet OOB. Violation?

How about the opposite? A1 passes to A2 who jumps from OOB, catches ball in air, lands with both feet on the court. Violation?
If I'm reading your scenarios correctly, it appears this would be a violation in both instances. In your first scenario, the player retains "in-bound" status until he is OOB. He catches the ball in the air as an in-bounds player, ending the throw-in. He then lands OOB, which is a violation.

In your second scenario, the player is OOB when he catches the ball, which doesn't end the throw-in. However, he lands in-bounds, which is a violation during the throw-in.