The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu May 11, 2006, 05:49am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to dave30
Obnoxious Maverick fans make me hate the team ! Just listening to the sports radio shows today was so irritating.
Old Thu May 11, 2006, 06:39am
Official Forum Member

Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave30
San Antonio whine? Give me a break ! You have to be one of those maverick fans. The Spurs are one of the teams in the league that talks less to the officials than most. Tim gets respect from officials and when he talks they usually listen. Pop is not a whining coach for the most part. He works the ref like they all do, but all in all the Spurs are about the classiest team around. I cannot say the same for mark cuban and his mavs.... Jerry Stackhouse is one of the biggest whiners in the NBA as is Dirk (fadeaway jumper..still want the call) Nowitski. cuban keeps a notebook on the refs and tries to intimidate them by pointing out every call he THINKS they missed and calling the league office. The only thing I like about the mavericks is Avery Johnson and his assistant that he brought over from the Spurs !

GO SPURS GO !.... I think I would root for the Iranian National Team over the Dallas Mavericks !
LOL! You chastise Aggie for being a Mavs fan but your post has Spurs fan written all over it.

Try showing a little bit of objectivity. There's none here.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Thu May 11, 2006, 06:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dribble
I don't think you could have had a no call with the amount of contact...it was a wreck and "something" needed to be called. The contact was solid on Barry's chest and should've been a charge.
We'll disagree on that. The contact was on the left arm/shoulder. Even Pop told Javie it was a good call as Barry was whining.

Old Thu May 11, 2006, 07:21am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
The Spurs are one of the teams in the league that talks less to the officials than most. Tim gets respect from officials and when he talks they usually listen.
Dave, are you serious?!?! Tim Duncan has turned into a world-class whiner this year. Every Spurs SportsCenter highlight includes at least one shot of his famous "hands out to the side, little boy pout/frown".

And this is from someone who has always respected Tim Duncan.
Old Thu May 11, 2006, 11:01pm
Official Forum Member

Tim Duncan only whines when it is warranted. He is such a great player; he knows when the foul is legit or not! Since Tim joined the league the Spurs are the #1 winningest franchise in all major sports! Yes, I am biased when it comes to MY SPURS ! They are my favorite team since I was a kid and used to go down to the old Hemisfair Arena to watch George Gervin, Larry Kenon, James Silas and that run and gun show. I admit it....big Spurs fan...totally biased. I am an obnoxious Spurs fan myself, but I think the Mav fans I know are even more obnoxious! GO SPURS GO !!!
Old Fri May 12, 2006, 09:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by dave30
Tim Duncan only whines when it is warranted. .... since I was a kid and used to go down to the old Hemisfair Arena to watch George Gervin, Larry Kenon, James Silas and that run and gun show.
Dave, other than Duncan I'm with you on this completely. Duncan whines and he needs to knock it off.

I can't believe they tore down the arena - really a waste, imo. Don't leave Johnny Moore off your list of admired Spurs veterans, or for that matter Coby Dietrich. Moore gives back to the local youth basketball community on a regular basis; Coby and Moore are both classy individuals.

The Spurs are a first class team.
Old Fri May 12, 2006, 10:06am
Official Forum Member

dave30 - enable your PMs!
Old Fri May 12, 2006, 11:46am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkjenning
Dave, other than Duncan I'm with you on this completely. Duncan whines and he needs to knock it off.

I can't believe they tore down the arena - really a waste, imo. Don't leave Johnny Moore off your list of admired Spurs veterans, or for that matter Coby Dietrich. Moore gives back to the local youth basketball community on a regular basis; Coby and Moore are both classy individuals.

The Spurs are a first class team.
What happened to Artis Gilmore???
Old Fri May 12, 2006, 12:01pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef
The A-Train was a stud!! Used to love watching him rebound all those misses Grvin puked up there...Artis was a machine!
Old Fri May 12, 2006, 01:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Good point, BadNewsRef. Also, Mark Olberding, Billy Paultz...
I've had the pleasure of running across Dietrich and Moore, so their omission was more obvious to me. Johnny Moore is always coaching an AAU team and both he and Coby are well-mannered, well-tempered [i.e. no 'roids in their past] classy individuals.
Of course, the Admiral is seriously a gentleman - his son had to put up with my family's first year of officiating [6th grade league] and Robinson was just so into focusing the kids on the game that it meant a lot to us. Having a legend on the sidelines who would have torn you down would have been a bit of a difficult thing to overcome during my first year [even now, I think - I'm still working on getting through a camp without becoming too distracted by what I need to work on].
Old Fri May 12, 2006, 02:01pm
Courageous When Prudent

slow day, more off-topic stuff...

Quote:
Good point, BadNewsRef. Also, Mark Olberding, Billy Paultz...
I was going to mention the Whopper, Billy Paultz. Olberding was the other name I couldn't think of. I remember all those players b/c back in the mid-70's through early 80's were the years I really followed the NBA as a teen-ager. I was originally a Bucks fan as a little kid but then Milwaukee traded Jabbar the same year Philly picked up George McGinnis and I became a die-hard Sixer fan. I remember the Spurs' battles with the Bullets and Sixers when SA was in the Eastern Conference. I still remember the day David Thompson up 78 and Iceman responded by scoring 63 to win the scoring title.

Quote:
Johnny Moore is always coaching an AAU team and both he and Coby are well-mannered, well-tempered [i.e. no 'roids in their past] classy individuals.
Ref'd an AAU game once with Buck Williams coaching. He wasn't a problem at all but when he had a question he easily got your attention. There's no igonoring his presense on the sideline.

Those Johnny Moore Spurs teams, though, used to get waxed by Magic and the Lakers.
Old Fri May 12, 2006, 02:07pm
Esteemed Participant

[QUOTE=BadNewsRef]I. I was originally a Bucks fan as a little kid but then Milwaukee traded Jabbar the same year Philly picked up George McGinnis and I became a die-hard Sixer fan. QUOTE]

Hey me too...the good old days of the Sixers, with mcGinnis, Steve Mix, World B. Free, Henry Bibby...later with Dr. J, Bobby Jones, "Chocolate Thunder" Dawkins, Mo Cheeks...ah, the goold old days!
Old Fri May 12, 2006, 07:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Tim Duncan only whines when it is warranted. He is such a great player; he knows when the foul is legit or not! Since Tim joined the league the Spurs are the #1 winningest franchise in all major sports! Yes, I am biased when it comes to MY SPURS ! They are my favorite team since I was a kid and used to go down to the old Hemisfair Arena to watch George Gervin, Larry Kenon, James Silas and that run and gun show. I admit it....big Spurs fan...totally biased. I am an obnoxious Spurs fan myself, but I think the Mav fans I know are even more obnoxious! GO SPURS GO !!!
OMG!!!

FANBOY ALERT!!!

Old Fri May 12, 2006, 08:13pm
Official Forum Member

I am a fanboy, but only with the Spurs! I am being a little "tongue in cheek" with my posts about Duncan. I know he whines, but he's one of my all-time favorite players and he is such a nice guy off the court that I can overlook it. Every Spur I can name off the top of my head are a little special to me as they were the team I watched growing up. Edgar Jones and Fred Roberts were two of the nicest guys to the kids that I've ever seen. Mike Gale, James Silas, Coby Dietrick, Alan Bristow, Billy Paultz, Mark Olberding, Kevin Restani, Larry Kenon, Gene Banks, Ron Brewer, Johnny Moore, George Gervin, Mike Mitchell, Artis Gilmore, Dave Corzine....etc etc....all of them did something at some time that I remember to this day! I've always liked the way the team really interacts with the fans and truly seem to bond with the city and the fans. The Spurs are the only game in town in San Antonio. It is different than most NBA cities who also have baseball and football.
Old Fri May 12, 2006, 08:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
dave30 - enable your PMs!
OK, I'm trying to figure it out right now....