The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Nov 16, 2014, 07:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
This is a case play, not a rule. Read it for concepts. They're telling us they want players to go after a loose ball. Again, the qualification about what they can do after they stop sliding IS indirectly a statement on what then can do before they stop sliding. They're drawing a distinction between the TYPES of things allowed due to the momentum of the dive and deliberate movement that is not part of the dive.
Thx for the reply Cameron. I get the concepts, encourage hustle, we allow player to slide should also allow rolls that are due to momentum. College play spells it out clearly. I agree with it and think it's better case play interpretation rule etc.

I just disagree that this play makes it clear under NFHS and that because it says you can't roll once stop sliding you can infer player could before he stopped. For reasons stated earlier. Thx again for replying.
Old Sun Nov 16, 2014, 07:26pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Direct ???

Quote:
... indirectly a statement...
Thats the problem for me, I would prefer a direct statement.

The rule states nothing. The casebook only talks about a slide.

Camron Rust may be right, but it's not due to the citations quoted. I need more information before I will allow a player possessing a ball to roll around on the floor after chasing down a loose ball. I may even let him slide and roll simultaneously, but I can't allow him to just roll.

The casebook play tells me me to allow him to slide, but anything else is simply conjecture at this point.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sun Nov 16, 2014, 10:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Thats the problem for me, I would prefer a direct statement.

The rule states nothing. The casebook only talks about a slide.

Camron Rust may be right, but it's not due to the citations quoted. I need more information before I will allow a player possessing a ball to roll around on the floor after chasing down a loose ball. I may even let him slide and roll simultaneously, but I can't allow him to just roll.

The casebook play tells me me to allow him to slide, but anything else is simply conjecture at this point.
It would be cost prohibitive to print and distribute a 4,879 page rule book and 5,192 page casebook.
Old Sun Nov 16, 2014, 11:21pm
Administrator

Golly gee willarkers!!

I started this thread to let everybody know that what was supposed to be an easy start to the season turned into a game report for an disqualified and ejected coach. While everybody here knows how much I love to debate rules and interpretations this was supposed to be a light hearted humorous thread.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Mon Nov 17, 2014, 01:47am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
I started this thread to let everybody know that what was supposed to be an easy start to the season turned into a game report for an disqualified and ejected coach. While everybody here knows how much I love to debate rules and interpretations this was supposed to be a light hearted humorous thread.

MTD, Sr.
Hey, you're the one that started it out by saying an 8th grader generated enough momentum to be sliding AND rolling 10-12 feet.

Like you said, he probably dove, grabbed the ball and slid on his back for 6-8 feet and passed the ball. No Travel. Good call.

Just didn't come across that way.
Old Mon Nov 17, 2014, 07:11am
Esteemed Forum Member

Ready, Aim ...

Quote:
I started this thread.
"Don't shoot the messenger" is not the same as, "Shoot the controversial thread starter".

(Note: Excellent thread. Thanks Mark T. DeNucci, Sr.)
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Old Mon Nov 17, 2014, 07:15am
Esteemed Forum Member

One And Done ...

Quote:
It would be cost prohibitive to print and distribute a 4,879 page rule book and 5,192 page casebook.
How about one of those annual interpretations, à la Nevadaref?

Old Mon Nov 17, 2014, 10:05am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

MTD, Sr.
*ha ha MTD: just goes to show that unintended outcomes often result from the most simple of issues. Keep on posting tho, we luv it.
Old Tue Nov 25, 2014, 05:49pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Exactly What We Were Discussing ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Sliding, I get. Multiple rolls? I would like this to be investigated further.

Old Wed Nov 26, 2014, 05:06pm
Often wrong never n doubt

I like the call. I feel he rolled over not due to his momentum but by choice. I have a hard time envisioning anyone rolling multiple due to their own momentum.
Old Sun Nov 30, 2014, 03:56pm
Official Forum Member

Just saw a reference to an old post where the question of momentum/sliding/rolling was addressed. The question was posed to the NFHS and Mary Struckoff provided the following answer:

Quote:
PLAY: A1 dives to the floor and secures control of the ball. A1's momentum causes him/her to roll over while sliding on the floor. Official rules this a traveling violation. Is the official correct? (Is rolling always a violation, or only after momentum has stopped?)

Rolling is allowed IF it were caused by momentum. Traveling cannot be called until momentum had ended. Once momentum stops, then a player that “rolls” away from a defender would be guilty of traveling.
(Reference: https://forum.officiating.com/507253-post68.html)
Old Mon Dec 01, 2014, 06:31pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Straight From The Horse's Mouth ...

Quote:
The question was posed to the NFHS and Mary Struckoff provided the following answer: Rolling is allowed IF it were caused by momentum.
Great citation Camron Rust. Thanks. Hopefully we can remember this the next time we have a debate/discussion/argument about rolling. It will save us a lot of time.