The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue May 26, 2009, 01:29pm
Official Forum Member

Great start to my HS season

As you all of you know (well at least most of you know), Iowa plays summer high school baseball. Yesterday was the first legal playing date. The area always has a varsity tourney to kick off the year (for the largest classification). It was spitting rain all day and threatening to pour all evening. I thought a couple of times the heavens were going to let loose on us. The first game (I was BU) went well. The teams played well, hustled, and we didn't have a problem. I was expecting the same for the second game (me as PU).

Game two started smoothly. The coaches were upbeat and ready to play. We talked about sportsmanship, keeping everyone inside the dugout (IE no sitting on buckets), having a helmet on the protector in the bullpen, and opened it for questions. One of the coaches jokingly asked "Does the right fielder need a helmet too since he is as close to the plate as the protector?" We laughed about it and discussed our surprise in the lack of requirement for base coaches to wear helmets. I thought we had a great pregame and that we were all on the same page.

Second inning comes rolling around, 2-1 ballgame at this point. V have R1 and R2 with 1 out. B4 hits a shot down the line. R2 rounds third as I set up for the impending play at home. The ball comes from the outfield, the catcher is setup about 4-5 feet up the third baseline, and the ball sails over the catcher's head. The catcher returns to the ground (from jumping to catch the ball), sees the imminent collision, and R2 barrels over F2. I paused for a moment, looked for continuing action between R2 and F2 (punches thrown, etc), and declared the ball dead. R2 out and ejected.

In the few moments I had, I looked towards each dugout to make sure all the players were still in the dugouts (they were) as I heard the freight train (aka third base coach) approach rapidly from behind. The entire way down the baseline I heard "That's a point of emphasis this year!". He got close and was rattling off for a few moments. I calmly interjected, "Talk with me, Coach". He calmly said the next couple of words and continued with his loud tantrum. "Talk with me." He calmly said the next couple of words and continued with his loud tantrum. "Talk with me." He paused for a second and I saw the opportunity. "Coach, can I tell you want I saw?" YES! "Talk with me. Coach the catcher setup 4-5 up the line in the base path..." The coach interrupted me, "It was a point of emphasis!" My reply, "Coach, you are restricted to the dugout" *pointed to the dugout* He surprisingly went without another word. Thank goodness we ended without further incident. The report to the state didn't take too long to fill out but not something I want to do again.

This morning I get a phone call from my partner: "Hey Hollywood! How are you?" "What are you talking about Randy?" "You haven't seen the Gazette this morning have you?" "Oh no!" On the front of the sports section is an action shot of the play with my mug staring right down at the play. I had a great angle on the play lol Thankfully the journalist was responsible and didn't include my name in the article. Shew. I can't wait to see what Day two (tonight) brings...

-Josh
Old Tue May 26, 2009, 02:50pm
Official Forum Member

Ok,

Quote:
" . . . having a helmet on the protector in the bullpen . . . "
Just a pleasant reminder:

Having a helmet on the bullpen protector is recommended not required by NFHS Rules UNLESS the Iowa Association of School Activities has done, just like Oregon, changed the word "recommended" to "required".
Old Tue May 26, 2009, 02:57pm
Official Forum Member

It is a requirement in Iowa.
Old Tue May 26, 2009, 09:43pm
Official Forum Member

I assume the point of emphasis he was trying to refer to, was about obstruction without the ball, but MC supersedes obstruction, even if not emphasized.
Old Tue May 26, 2009, 09:55pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DG View Post
I assume the point of emphasis he was trying to refer to, was about obstruction without the ball, but MC supersedes obstruction, even if not emphasized.
That would be the assumption that I made as well! He never articulated himself fully before he was restricted.

-Josh
Old Tue May 26, 2009, 09:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim C View Post
Just a pleasant reminder:

Having a helmet on the bullpen protector is recommended not required by NFHS Rules UNLESS the Iowa Association of School Activities has done, just like Oregon, changed the word "recommended" to "required".
Iowa does require a helmet for the protector (as Huskerblue said).

-Josh
Old Wed May 27, 2009, 08:06am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmara View Post
That would be the assumption that I made as well! He never articulated himself fully before he was restricted.

-Josh
I was thinking the same thing. It is tough to tell from the op, but do you feel you gave him ample oppurtunity to articulate completely? And I am not saying that you should be holding umpiring forums for discussions either,
nor am I sympathatic to sitting his rear on the wood.
Old Wed May 27, 2009, 08:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jicecone View Post
I was thinking the same thing. It is tough to tell from the op, but do you feel you gave him ample oppurtunity to articulate completely? And I am not saying that you should be holding umpiring forums for discussions either, nor am I sympathatic to sitting his rear on the wood.
I believe I did. He just kept repeating himself, "That's a point of emphasis...I can't believe it...What are you calling?". I just kept politely and calmly asking him to "talk with me". Then after a few words quietly he would quickly escalate his voice to a yell and repeat the same thing. I was told last night that the whole incident was on the news Monday night. In fact the co-anchor after viewing the clip said "that umpire is one cool and calm fellow. I wish I had his patience and poise". I haven't seen the clip unfortunately. I am going to try to get ahold of it. If I do, I'll post it somewhere.

I learned quickly in basketball if you ask ask calmly and politely for the coach to "talk with me", usually it'll settle them right down. The technique I guess (usually) works because the coach knows you're going to listen. *Shrug*

-Josh