The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 07, 2009, 08:59am
Official Forum Member

Whistle at End of Quarter Revisited

I know that there have already been multiple threads regarding ending the quarter with a whistle. We had a situation last night that brought the situation up, again.

From previous threads, most folks seemed to think that the official responsible for the last shot (C or T opposite table) would blow their whistle to end the quarter. Last night, we had a foul called called on a drive right at the end of the quarter (by the lead). In our situation, the foul was called before the horn by fractions of a second (the horn went off just after the whistle), therefore, the C did not sound his whistle.

But, this got us thinking about this situation, again. If the Center -- who has last shot responsibility, but the ball is clearly not in his primary -- blows his whistle indicating the end-of-quarter at about the exact same time as the calling official (who has a non-shooting foul), don't we have a potential sticky "double whistle" situation?

One senior official in our area indicated that the end-of-quarter whistle should always come from the offiicial who has the ball in his primary. But, I know that other officials have indicated that the end-of-quarter whistle should come from the official responsible for the last shot.

Thoughts?
Old Wed Jan 07, 2009, 09:15am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMHCoachNRef View Post
I know that there have already been multiple threads regarding ending the quarter with a whistle. We had a situation last night that brought the situation up, again.

From previous threads, most folks seemed to think that the official responsible for the last shot (C or T opposite table) would blow their whistle to end the quarter. Last night, we had a foul called called on a drive right at the end of the quarter (by the lead). In our situation, the foul was called before the horn by fractions of a second (the horn went off just after the whistle), therefore, the C did not sound his whistle.

But, this got us thinking about this situation, again. If the Center -- who has last shot responsibility, but the ball is clearly not in his primary -- blows his whistle indicating the end-of-quarter at about the exact same time as the calling official (who has a non-shooting foul), don't we have a potential sticky "double whistle" situation?

One senior official in our area indicated that the end-of-quarter whistle should always come from the offiicial who has the ball in his primary. But, I know that other officials have indicated that the end-of-quarter whistle should come from the official responsible for the last shot.

Thoughts?
The official responsible for the last secodn shot shout sound the "end of quarter" whistle. IF there's another whistle at about the same time, then the officials need to decide which happened first. If they can't decide, then the foul or shot happened first.

I would like to see the mechanic changed to what the "senior official" described, but it's not currently correct.
Old Wed Jan 07, 2009, 09:18am
Official Forum Member

If the whistles blow at approximately the same time then you have to get together to see which actually occured first.
If the whistle to end the quarter occured first, there would be no shot attempt, if it is a non-shooting foul, (presumeably non bonus also). The ball was dead and unless you feel the need to call the foul, such as excessive contact or something of that nature you might want to back away from it since now it is contact during a dead ball and we have a whole new set of issues to deal with.

The whistle should always be blow to end time in a period. It should be blown by the official whose responsibility it is in the mechanics manual.
The precise reason is is that in section 7 of rule 6 live ball dead ball nowhere does it mention that the horn makes the ball dead.
and in Section 6 of rule 5 scoring and timeing regs, it mentions that the period ends when the signal sounds not that the ball is dead.

The Whistle needs to be sounded to establish a dead ball, with noted exceptions of the rules.
Old Wed Jan 07, 2009, 09:26am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Thoughts?
We don't blow a whistle at the end of the quarter unless there's a shot.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Wed Jan 07, 2009, 09:28am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
But, I know that other officials have indicated that the end-of-quarter whistle should come from the official responsible for the last shot.

Thoughts?
My thoughts in red.
Old Wed Jan 07, 2009, 09:32am
Keeper of the HAMMER

I've had Rs pregame that if the ball gets deep into the corner table side, the primary should take that last shot.
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef View Post
We don't blow a whistle at the end of the quarter unless there's a shot.
I disagree, I think you have a whistle at the end of the quarter no matter what.
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by PIAA REF View Post
I disagree, I think you have a whistle at the end of the quarter no matter what.
It's regional, just like whistles for all subs, or whistles prior to throwins.
Old Wed Jan 07, 2009, 10:08am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
It's regional, just like whistles for all subs, or whistles prior to throwins.
Cue the official's manual on "whistles on all subs."
Old Wed Jan 07, 2009, 10:26am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Why?

The ball is being dribbled, the horn sounds. Why?

A1 is passing to A2 when the horn sounds. Why?

The ball is loose on the floor and the horn sounds. Why?

A1 has the ball for a throw-in after b1's basjet when the horn sounds. Why?

We never blow a whistle in those situations, yet I've never had anyone turn to me and ask, "What was that horn for?"

So why blow it?

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Wed Jan 07, 2009, 10:32am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
I blow my whistle when it's my responsibility. Never had anyone ask why I did. But the few times I've forgotten I have been asked why I didn't blow my whistle.

I don't see why anyone would be bothered that I blew my whistle.
Old Wed Jan 07, 2009, 10:37am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef View Post
Why?

The ball is being dribbled, the horn sounds. Why?

A1 is passing to A2 when the horn sounds. Why?

The ball is loose on the floor and the horn sounds. Why?

A1 has the ball for a throw-in after b1's basjet when the horn sounds. Why?

We never blow a whistle in those situations, yet I've never had anyone turn to me and ask, "What was that horn for?"

So why blow it?
I agree.

I sound my whistle only if it's my decision as to the legality of the shot and the shot comes at the buzzer.
Old Wed Jan 07, 2009, 10:39am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee View Post
I agree.

I sound my whistle only if it's my decision as to the legality of the shot and the shot comes at the buzzer.
What if players are scrambling for a loose ball in the paint? I'm blowing my whistle and stepping in.
Old Wed Jan 07, 2009, 10:42am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichMSN View Post
Cue the official's manual on "whistles on all subs."
Oh sure, now you care.
Old Wed Jan 07, 2009, 03:00pm
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells View Post
I've had Rs pregame that if the ball gets deep into the corner table side, the primary should take that last shot.

Snaqs:

Exactly. I agree with Rut that absent a shot at the buzzer no whistle is needed at the end of the period. And the official with on ball responsiblity should have the whistle.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio