The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 07, 2009, 03:44pm
Official Forum Member

Doing a Christmas tournament last week I had this come up. I'm working my way up to 3-man varsity and had the senior official let me know that there needs to be a whistle to end each quarter. I let her know that I had been instructed years ago not to do that because it can lead people (coaches, players, fans, etc.) to believe there was something happening (violation, foul, etc.) that didn't actually happen (i.e., could confuse a situation). The only time I blew the whistle up until then was if I was the official responsible for doing so and if there was a shot.

Now, I did get this guidance years ago and cannot attribute it to anyone specifically so I'm not married to it. Since the mechanic in our association seems to be a whistle to end each quarter that's what I'll pregame and do from now on.
Old Wed Jan 07, 2009, 03:46pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
What if players are scrambling for a loose ball in the paint? I'm blowing my whistle and stepping in.
Your voice works here too.
Old Wed Jan 07, 2009, 03:48pm
Do not give a damn!!

I blow the whistle every single time I have the last second shot, no matter if a shot is up or not. I have never been told not to do so. I will continue doing so until I get a good reason not to do that anymore.

Peace
Old Wed Jan 07, 2009, 04:32pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee View Post
Your voice works here too.
Sure does, right after my whistle.

I'm very adept at using my voice. Like when there's an inadvertent horn and I yell "Keep playing!!!"
Old Wed Jan 07, 2009, 05:00pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Sure does, right after my whistle.

I'm very adept at using my voice. Like when there's an inadvertent horn and I yell "Keep playing!!!"
Different strokes I guess.
Old Wed Jan 07, 2009, 09:08pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
Doing a Christmas tournament last week I had this come up. I'm working my way up to 3-man varsity and had the senior official let me know that there needs to be a whistle to end each quarter. I let her know that I had been instructed years ago not to do that because it can lead people (coaches, players, fans, etc.) to believe there was something happening (violation, foul, etc.) that didn't actually happen (i.e., could confuse a situation). The only time I blew the whistle up until then was if I was the official responsible for doing so and if there was a shot.

Now, I did get this guidance years ago and cannot attribute it to anyone specifically so I'm not married to it. Since the mechanic in our association seems to be a whistle to end each quarter that's what I'll pregame and do from now on.
Same here. Our clinics teach us that each quarter/period must have a whistle at the conclusion.

When there's nothing happening (no shot, etc.) I pause slightly after the horn and then blow the whistle. This way, coaches and players are much less likely to think I was making a call.
Old Thu Jan 08, 2009, 09:47am
Ch1town

Say it's the 8th team foul to end the quarter. After the FTs do you all whistle as well?
Old Thu Jan 08, 2009, 10:21am
Official Forum Member

In GA we do....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ch1town View Post
Say it's the 8th team foul to end the quarter. After the FTs do you all whistle as well?
Not sure if this is just a GA mechanic or a FED, but we put time back on the clock whenever we line up to shoot free throws. If you don't know for sure how much time was left, we generally go with .3 seconds. The point is, you have to have time on the clock when you lineup for free throws. At least that's how we do it in GA. Again, not sure if this is FED or only a GA mechanic.
Old Thu Jan 08, 2009, 10:47am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwest View Post
If you don't know for sure how much time was left, we generally go with .3 seconds.
FED rules don't allow you to put time on the clock unless you have definite knowledge of what should be there. I don't recall seeing the word guesstimate anywhere in the rulebook...
Old Thu Jan 08, 2009, 11:03am
Official Forum Member

I never said it did....

Quote:
Originally Posted by ma_ref View Post
FED rules don't allow you to put time on the clock unless you have definite knowledge of what should be there. I don't recall seeing the word guesstimate anywhere in the rulebook...
I never said guesstimate was in the rulebook! However, in GA we don't shoot free throws without time on the clock.
Old Thu Jan 08, 2009, 11:04am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Not sure if this is just a GA mechanic or a FED, but we put time back on the clock whenever we line up to shoot free throws. If you don't know for sure how much time was left, we generally go with .3 seconds. The point is, you have to have time on the clock when you lineup for free throws. At least that's how we do it in GA. Again, not sure if this is FED or only a GA mechanic.
hmm...

Airborne A1 releases a shot, then the horn sounds, then A1 is fouled before returning to the ground.

You'll put time on the clock?
Old Thu Jan 08, 2009, 11:13am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
hmm...

Airborne A1 releases a shot, then the horn sounds, then A1 is fouled before returning to the ground.

You'll put time on the clock?
No not on that play we wouldn't.
Old Thu Jan 08, 2009, 11:22am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I never said guesstimate was in the rulebook! However, in GA we don't shoot free throws without time on the clock.
I wasn't implying that you said so, but you're state association is essentially saying it. I don't like this rule at all. Without knowing the specifics of your state's rule (only what you wrote), this creates situations in close games where you are potentially punishing the winning team for getting fouled!