View Single Post
Old Wed Jan 07, 2009, 09:15am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMHCoachNRef View Post
I know that there have already been multiple threads regarding ending the quarter with a whistle. We had a situation last night that brought the situation up, again.

From previous threads, most folks seemed to think that the official responsible for the last shot (C or T opposite table) would blow their whistle to end the quarter. Last night, we had a foul called called on a drive right at the end of the quarter (by the lead). In our situation, the foul was called before the horn by fractions of a second (the horn went off just after the whistle), therefore, the C did not sound his whistle.

But, this got us thinking about this situation, again. If the Center -- who has last shot responsibility, but the ball is clearly not in his primary -- blows his whistle indicating the end-of-quarter at about the exact same time as the calling official (who has a non-shooting foul), don't we have a potential sticky "double whistle" situation?

One senior official in our area indicated that the end-of-quarter whistle should always come from the offiicial who has the ball in his primary. But, I know that other officials have indicated that the end-of-quarter whistle should come from the official responsible for the last shot.

Thoughts?
The official responsible for the last secodn shot shout sound the "end of quarter" whistle. IF there's another whistle at about the same time, then the officials need to decide which happened first. If they can't decide, then the foul or shot happened first.

I would like to see the mechanic changed to what the "senior official" described, but it's not currently correct.