The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Dec 05, 2007, 10:58am
Official & Member

Whistle to end quarter?

Sorry if this has been discussed previously. NFHS rules. Should an official sound a whistle at the end of the quarter or end of game? I've seen it done. I've seen it not done. Can't find a reference in current officials manual. I'll hang up now and listen to your response....
Old Wed Dec 05, 2007, 11:01am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Zebra
Sorry if this has been discussed previously. NFHS rules. Should an official sound a whistle at the end of the quarter or end of game? I've seen it done. I've seen it not done. Can't find a reference in current officials manual. I'll hang up now and listen to your response....
Not sure if it is in the manual or not, but I/my partners have done it in every game (high school at least) that I can remember....
Old Wed Dec 05, 2007, 11:03am
Official Forum Member

I only blow it at end of game and only after the final horn. Not at end of quarters.
Old Wed Dec 05, 2007, 11:25am
Official Forum Member

i've been told at camps to only blow the whistle at the end of qtr/half if you need to wave off an attempt that happened after the horn, otherwise, let it go. no need to call attention to yourself for something as obvious as the period ending. if the bucket went and counts, everybody is already going to be looking at you to see what your signal is.
Old Wed Dec 05, 2007, 11:31am
Official Forum Member

I haven't been told specifically what to do at the end of the quarter, however, I have noticed most officials in my area sounding the whistle at the end of each quarter...curious to know what other officials do as well.
Old Wed Dec 05, 2007, 11:41am
Official Forum Member

I whistle it.
Old Wed Dec 05, 2007, 12:00pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to IREFU2 Send a message via Yahoo to IREFU2
Hmmm, interesting. I am searching the officials manual now for clarification.
Old Wed Dec 05, 2007, 12:04pm
Do not give a damn!!

I blow the whistle every time (when I am responsible for this). I have never been involved in a big discussion about this one way or another. I believe most people I work with also blow the whistle.

Peace
Old Wed Dec 05, 2007, 12:05pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to IREFU2 Send a message via Yahoo to IREFU2
I am with Rut, I blow at the end of quarter, start of a new quarter and at the end of the game.
Old Wed Dec 05, 2007, 12:09pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

I do not unless a try was late and near the buzzer sounding.
Old Wed Dec 05, 2007, 12:09pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockchalk jhawk
i've been told at camps to only blow the whistle at the end of qtr/half if you need to wave off an attempt that happened after the horn, otherwise, let it go.
I agree with this. The horn ends the period. If nothing is happening at the end of the period, there's no need for a whistle. In fact, a whistle could just confuse things by making people think you have a call.

The only time I'll whistle at the end of the period is I'm waving off a shot.
Old Wed Dec 05, 2007, 12:12pm
Official Forum Member

When I'm responsible, I whistle every time unless there's a "foul or violation so near the end of the period that the timer cna't stop the clock in time" (or whatever the specific wording is. In that event, the whistle for the foul or violation is used (and if there are FTs, of course the whistle doesn't end the period).

I've been at caps where there's been lots of discussion on this, with no resolution. I seem to recall that it's now specifically in the NCAAW manual to blow the whistle.
Old Wed Dec 05, 2007, 12:14pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1
I agree with this. The horn ends the period. If nothing is happening at the end of the period, there's no need for a whistle. In fact, a whistle could just confuse things by making people think you have a call.

The only time I'll whistle at the end of the period is I'm waving off a shot.
If that is the concern, I have never had that problem in all the years I have been officiating. Also when the quarter is over, I also wave my hands to signify the quarter, half or game is over. I have never had anyone not know what I or my partners were calling at the end of the game. Also during quarter and half breaks, there is a shot of some kind coming at the end of the period.

Peace
Old Wed Dec 05, 2007, 12:20pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
If that is the concern, I have never had that problem in all the years I have been officiating. Also when the quarter is over, I also wave my hands to signify the quarter, half or game is over. I have never had anyone not know what I or my partners were calling at the end of the game. Also during quarter and half breaks, there is a shot of some kind coming at the end of the period.

Peace
Exactly I wave also - nothing really to be confused about if you are waving your hands either in front of you or over your head...
Old Wed Dec 05, 2007, 12:21pm
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge

Peace
If you are going to whistle at the end of a quarter, I think it's appropriate to wave the hands as a signal. Many people look to the official when his/her whistle is sounded and to do nothing except start walking somewhere is not good communication.