The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 02, 2009, 08:37am
Official Forum Member

Pre Game meeting

In florida we do pre game meetings. How do the experienced officials handle the intro's in Mid school and high school?

Is it We are your officials today, I'm Joe and this is Bob
or
Is it we are your officials, I'm Mr Smith and this is Mr. DeNucci, Sr..(in my dreams)

What are your reasons for what you do....
Old Fri Jan 02, 2009, 08:45am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
This has been discussed many times before.

Two suggestions:

One, use the search feature at the top of the Forum and type in "pregame".

Two, go to this link pre game coach conversation (which you started) and read it again. It has a good deal of ideas on how to meet and greet coaches (just take out some of the sarcasm).

Another good thread for coaches - Coach or first name?

With the young kids I'll use Mr. R and Mr. U - I don't want some 13/14/15 yr old calling me by my first name.

Last edited by grunewar; Fri Jan 02, 2009 at 08:50am. Reason: added new link
Old Fri Jan 02, 2009, 08:46am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachbum View Post
In florida we do pre game meetings. How do the experienced officials handle the intro's in Mid school and high school?

Is it. We are your officials today, I'm Joe and this is Bob.
or
Is it we are your officials, I'm Mr Smith and this is Mr. DeNucci, Sr..(in my dreams)

What are your reasons for what you do....
I thought the south had people named Jim-Bob.

In captain's meetings I mention my and my Ps first names. Reason: The kids really don't care.

With the coaches, it's first and last names. Reason: we're all adults and should be treated and present ourselves as such.
Old Fri Jan 02, 2009, 08:50am

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
This has been discussed many times before.

Two suggestions:

One, use the search feature at the top of the Forum and type in "pregame".

Two, go to this link pre game coach conversation (which you started) and read it again. It has a good deal of ideas on how to meet and greet coaches (just take out some of the sarcasm).
Before using the search function, I suggest using the Similar Threads function way down below.
Old Fri Jan 02, 2009, 08:52am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by JugglingReferee View Post
Before using the search function, I suggest using the Similar Threads function way down below.
I was referring to before he typed and submitted his question - once he types it and submits it you are of course correct.
Old Fri Jan 02, 2009, 09:17am
Official Forum Member

At the captians meetings I always use Mr. I believe that it sets the tone of respect. Using first names is a more social or friendly gestor and I am not their friend and don't want them to think that I am, at this time that is not the relationship that we have.

Explaining this aspect of my pre-game makes me sound like a harda$$. There are other parts and my demenor that softens the message so they know tha it is a game and it is ok to have fun.

Last edited by Scooby; Fri Jan 02, 2009 at 10:01am.
Old Fri Jan 02, 2009, 09:20am

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
I was referring to before he typed and submitted his question - once he types it and submits it you are of course correct.
Gotcha. You're right of course. I was imagining the OP reading his own thread.
Old Fri Jan 02, 2009, 09:35am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby View Post
At the captians meetings I always use Mr. I believe that it sets the tone of respect. Using first names is a more social or friendly gestor and I am not their friend and don't want them to think that I am, at this time that is not the relationship that we have.

Explaining this aspest of my pre-game makes me sound like a harda$$. There are other parts and my demenor that softens the message so they know tha it is a game and it is ok to have fun.
I'm Rich. To everyone. MrMSN is my father.

I don't need to me Mr. Anything to command respect. The uniform should do that initially and my hard work should do that once the game starts.
Old Fri Jan 02, 2009, 09:39am
Huck Finn

To the players I'm "Ref" because that is the only thing they are going to call me anyway. First and last names for the coaches the first couple of times I have them. They will remember my name after that. Additionally, down here in the great state of Mississippi we have to give the coaches a card or small piece of paper with our names on it so they can rate us. I'm sure that helps them remember our names.
Old Fri Jan 02, 2009, 12:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachbum View Post
We are your officials today
What is the point of saying that? Do you think they thought you guys were just random people wearing officiating uniforms on the court before the game?
Old Fri Jan 02, 2009, 01:30pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomegun View Post
To the players I'm "Ref" because that is the only thing they are going to call me anyway. First and last names for the coaches the first couple of times I have them. They will remember my name after that. Additionally, down here in the great state of Mississippi we have to give the coaches a card or small piece of paper with our names on it so they can rate us. I'm sure that helps them remember our names.
Same here in Colorado. Except that we'll tell the kids our first names; they just won't remember. Coaches get the cards, so we just give them first names.
Old Fri Jan 02, 2009, 01:31pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:

In captain's meetings I mention my and my Ps first names. Reason: The kids really don't care.

With the coaches, it's first and last names. Reason: we're all adults and should be treated and present ourselves as such.
Not all of them do it that way, but the whole Mr. and Mrs. thing is bigger in the south.
Old Fri Jan 02, 2009, 03:50pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to RCBSports
A lot of different aspects here. When I am working my games, which is primarily rec leagues until I turn 18, I try to stay formal yet keeping a lacked tone with it. I think if you go by first names, it helps makes the captains relax. And really, they don't care. Maybe because I'm young and don't really want to be called Sir, but who knows.

Plus, there are times before a game or even after, that I run into the players again. So then the next time they see me, they shout, 'hey lucas'. I really don't think it shows favorites. When I'm on the court, I call the game as I see it...black and white pretty much.

Plus, they learn how to handle you. They know how you call your games and know what to and not to do. I dunno though...it's really a matter of personal choice I believe!

-Lucas
WVSSAC - MonValley Referee
Little League Baseball Umpire Coordinator
Old Fri Jan 02, 2009, 11:36pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDUB View Post
What is the point of saying that? Do you think they thought you guys were just random people wearing officiating uniforms on the court before the game?
I silently cringe when I hear that obvious phrase uttered.
Old Sat Jan 03, 2009, 01:42am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Yup we do..also got some Juniors, Jimmys, Johnnys, Joeys, Sammys, Lennys etc. Basically all the qutesy names for 5 year olds in the North are prevelant adult names here in Alabama - they never grow out of the ys in there name and become Jim, John, Sam or Len.

When performing my pre game meeting, I'll shake the coaches hand and introduce myself with full name - same as meeting any other adult. The kids will get a "good luck captain" with their handshake because as JR said - they don't really care.