The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jul 05, 2007, 05:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigUmp56
An MPR protest cannot be lodged until after the last out is recorded and must be lodged before the umpires leave the field.
It's not like I'm hard to find after the last out. We don't teleport off the field.
Old Thu Jul 05, 2007, 06:26pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Ives
Thus minimizing the ability of a team to lodge a "before the umpires leave the field" protest.
Thankfully, my district and state treat LL as baseball and we leave as we normally do after any other game. I'll let you know what they instruct at my regional.

BTW, I'll do as I'm told by the tournament director (or UIC) regardless of my personal feelings for it.
Old Thu Jul 05, 2007, 06:28pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteBooth
I echo TEE if you want to work these games then you do as instructed or refuse.

One of the problems is that there is no Official LL Umpire association ala a Summer or HS umpires asociation. As umpires we stick together and if a league ever requested us to "hang around" after the game my assignor would tell that league where to go meaning NO UMPIRE would work those games.

LL is different because there is no ONE association that all LL umpires belong to. It is basically volunteer (however, more and more LL associations are going to paid umpires for a variety of reasons)

In your situation there might be many LL Umpires who are "itching" to get a LL Distrct game and would do almost anything to get one so if you refuse who cares.

Personally I wouldn't work any game in which the UIC instructed me to "hang around"

Summary: If you do not want to hang around simply refuse the assignment. For what it's worth think about getting HS Certified and getting paid for your services and NOT have to hang around after the game. We simply drop the baseballs at the plate or give them to the home coach (whatever the protocol is in one's area) greet our partner and go home. If someone wants to appeal they better do so in a hurry.

Pete Booth
And I think dropping the baseballs at the plate is the most disrespectful thing an umpire can do. I hand mine to a home player or assistant coach. There's rarely a need to leave so quickly that you can't do that.

Regardless if you are getting paid for LL or not, when you work the tourney you should work according to the rules and procedures put forth by the TD. Otherwise, don't bother working.
Old Thu Jul 05, 2007, 06:42pm
Official Forum Member

It's not so hard

It's really not that hard to follow these instructions. The crew gathers at the plate while both teams shake hands on the field. The umps walk onto the field as soon as the coaches come togther. Adults exchange final pleasantries and leave asap. It looks professional, and gives coaches an opportunity to select better umpires, come tournament time.

By the way, where's the fire?
Old Thu Jul 05, 2007, 08:26pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TussAgee11
You really want coaches selecting "better" umpires.
Old Thu Jul 05, 2007, 08:39pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAump
It's really not that hard to follow these instructions. The crew gathers at the plate while both teams shake hands on the field. The umps walk onto the field as soon as the coaches come togther. Adults exchange final pleasantries and leave asap. It looks professional, and gives coaches an opportunity to select better umpires, come tournament time.

By the way, where's the fire?
Coaches have no role in selecting umpires in any LL I've worked in.
Old Thu Jul 05, 2007, 09:35pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Rcichon
Thanks all, thanks for your input.
Old Thu Jul 05, 2007, 11:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich Fronheiser
And I think dropping the baseballs at the plate is the most disrespectful thing an umpire can do. I hand mine to a home player or assistant coach. There's rarely a need to leave so quickly that you can't do that.
I hand them to HC or Asst of home team if the game has been civil. Otherwise I roll them to the dugout on my way out. I have never dropped them at the plate.
Old Fri Jul 06, 2007, 07:58am
Official Forum Member

Seems like we are all a little different...I certainly don't leave them on the plate and I don't roll them to the dugout. I either find a coach or player to hand them to on the way out or I leave them in an obvious spot near the opening to the dugout. If I do the latter, I try to get a coach'a attention as to where I left them. If I know that he doesn't really want to talk to me about anything, then I skip the notification.

Lawrence
Old Fri Jul 06, 2007, 08:28am
Official Forum Member

I think the TD is misguided in his instructions but agree that you should work the game the way you are told. I don't race off the field at the end of the game anyway. If I'm in the field I jog to my partner then walk off the field. That should provide the coach an oppertunity to reach me if needed.

I would think the umpires standing on the mound would lead to more ejections rather than more protests being filed.
Old Fri Jul 06, 2007, 08:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
=Rich Fronheiser]And I think dropping the baseballs at the plate is the most disrespectful thing an umpire can do. I hand mine to a home player or assistant coach. There's rarely a need to leave so quickly that you can't do that.
Rich as I said it's about protocol and what is the accepted practice in one's area. What might seem disrspectful to you is perfectly acceptable somewhere else which is why I prefaced my response with (the accepted protocol in one's area)

Also, what is so disrespectful about dropping the balls at the plate area. It's not like the PU is slamming them down etc. We each have our own opinion, but simply placing the balls (dropping them) at the Plate is No Big deal.

Quote:
Regardless if you are getting paid for LL or not, when you work the tourney you should work according to the rules and procedures put forth by the TD. Otherwise, don't bother working

Which is exactly what I said in my response so I do not know what this comment is for. I agree with you on this point.

Do not know about your association Rich, but in mine our ASSIGNOR is the person whom we listen to not some local TD.

Pete Booth
Old Fri Jul 06, 2007, 08:44am
Official Forum Member

Hmmm,

Pete:

I am with Rich here.

We have just passed a directive in Oregon high school baseball that during a game all balls that are returned to the plate umpire during the game are to be handed to that umpire.

We no longer will tolerate balls being tossed in from base coaches or balls rolled out to the PU.

If we demand this we CERTAINLY feel that it is just a disrespectful for our umpire to drop the balls at the plate.

Dropping the balls at the plate would not be tolerated in this neck of the woods.

Regards,
Old Fri Jul 06, 2007, 08:56am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteBooth

Do not know about your association Rich, but in mine our ASSIGNOR is the person whom we listen to not some local TD.

Pete Booth
"Some local TD?" Could you show any less respect for the guy running the tournament?

I'll never understand why some umpires want to make it so difficult and ensure there are hard feelings in these situations.

Let's say I'm the TD of the LL tournament. I come up to the umpires and say, "Little League protocol requires that the umpires be available X minutes after the game because of the potential of MPR protests." You're still going to drop the balls and run?

And yes, I find dropping the balls horribly disrespectful. I normally put them back in the box (they came from) in the dugout or hand them to a coach/player on the way out. I can remember dropping them once in the past 5 years and it's because the home team wanted to argue a time limit and wouldn't take the baseballs.
Old Fri Jul 06, 2007, 09:28am
Official Forum Member

In an ideal world, yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TussAgee11
You really want coaches selecting "better" umpires.
When not left to umpire associations or assignors, coaches select umpires who they are more familiar with over umpires they do not know very well. I agree it would equal the playing field if new umpires had a chance to introduce themselves to a coach after a game evaluation. An assignor will easily cave in to a coach's negative comments about a particular new umpire, based on the outcome of the last game played. Ever seen good young umpires walk away from the game once they realize those "clicks" affect the choice assignments? I believe introducing a shot of "professionalism" between coach and umpire may help innoculate one against forming this unfair negative opinion. Unless it hurts somehow, why not try to comply with the league administrator's request and wait until the players begin to leave.

Last edited by SAump; Fri Jul 06, 2007 at 09:32am.
Old Fri Jul 06, 2007, 09:47am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAump
It looks professional, and gives coaches an opportunity to select better umpires, come tournament time.
When negotiating our last agreement, the local American Legion proposed that their coaches and board would select tournament umpires. We countered that the umpire association would select the coaches. They dropped their proposal.