The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Baseball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jul 24, 2006, 02:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by archangel
In regarding a PU involvement, I was the BU in a high school tourney game, tie game, bases loaded, 2 outs. - slow grounder to SS,hurried throw to F3, BR barely safe, and defensive coach chirping about the call (no big deal). Next batter, grounder to SS, misplayed, all safe. SS picks up ball, throws to pitcher, but over his head, ball rolls to dugout fence(foul terr., but not dead)--runners advance, R3 scores, and as I'm watching the ball, defense coach going nuts, yelling "its your fault!!!"- in various forms,repeatedly. I'm hearing that, thinking he's yelling at SS, when PU finally calls time and ejects him.
Turns out those comments were at me (surprise!), but appreciated the back up.
Yes, perfect illustration on why we SHOULD listen to everything that is said on and around the field.

I have to do it at least once a year. Work with a newer umpire, or an umpire that has not advanced very quickly. Something weird happens. Coach/player/fans start saying inappropriate stuff that he either doesn't hear, or DOES HEAR BUT WON'T DO ANYTHING ABOUT! I do something about it.

It really doesn't matter if the comments are direct at you or your partner. If at your partner and he doesn't do something about it, you HAVE TO!!! The game just turns to crap if you don't!
Old Mon Jul 24, 2006, 03:01pm
Official Forum Member

Hmmm,

Humans are people.

People umpire baseball.

Umpires have different lengths of fuses.

How does an umpire know IF his partner is just not near his limit or if he is "ignoring" an important issue.

I am sure that I have a different tolerance level for comments than other umpires. It does not mean I am "doing nothing" about comments -- the comments just aren't in my "problem area."

So now we have some umpires that say they would insert themselves into my issue -- why would anyone do that? I handle my own issues . . . I don't need help from anyone.

Regards,
Old Mon Jul 24, 2006, 04:48pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim C
Humans are people.

People umpire baseball.

How does an umpire know IF his partner is just not near his limit or if he is "ignoring" an important issue.

I am sure that I have a different tolerance level for comments than other umpires. It does not mean I am "doing nothing" about comments -- the comments just aren't in my "problem area."

So now we have some umpires that say they would insert themselves into my issue -- why would anyone do that? I handle my own issues . . . I don't need help from anyone.
Agree. That holds true for other sports too imo. We're having almost the same type of discussion over on the basketball forum- even as we speak.

what would you do
Old Mon Jul 24, 2006, 05:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonRef
Let's remember one thing, these are 9/10 year old kids and by not addressing this coach we are telling them his behavior is okay. Sportmanship must be stressed especially at the young level, it is OUR job to enforce it. A coach only gets ONE warning, the second time is an ejection. As for the PU, last time I checked we are a crew, you must protect each other and have each others backs.

It's not my job to teach the parents of 9/10 year olds how a coach should behave. If the parents want to deal with him they can, and probably will. Sportsmanship can not be "umpired" into existence. I don't give warnings. I give commands. My fuse is extremely short when the comments directed to me are personal or profane and a little bit longer for prolonged (obviously). But I ignore coaches and fans who make a couple comments about the quality of my umpiring, unless of course it's an assistant, on the field, with a complaint.

Last edited by DG; Mon Jul 24, 2006 at 06:00pm.
Old Tue Jul 25, 2006, 03:16am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim C
Humans are people.

People umpire baseball.

Regards,
Sorry Tim, I see far too many guys letting stuff go far too long, and then the game goes to crap!

I am NOT saying that you jump right in. But there comes a point when enough is enough.

I am not generally a short fuse, except for a few things. Personal insults to ANYBODY on the field, profanity, intimidation, threats, taunting all warrant QUICK FIXING.

Tim, if we are working together, and any of this is going on, and you aren't doing anything about it, I WILL!!! Count on it.

If a coach is just complaing a bit about your strike zone () I will probably let that go for a while. I might after a while ask why you aren't doing something about it if he keeps it up for more than a couple of innings. After that, I will probably warn him about arguing balls/strikes if you haven't.

I don't care for the old school attitude that says we have to take a bunch of crap from coaches! I have NEVER seen a job description for a coach which included something like: "Let the umpire know that you think his strike zone is horrible while standing either in the 3rd base coaching box, or on the dugout bench". I see NOWHERE in any rule book, umpiring manual, etc that says I must put up with crap.

I have found that looking to give a warning early in the game makes the rest of the game go much better (if any warning is even needed). Take control early, and with a fairly heavy hand, you hear FAR less crap in the late innings of a tight game! I have seen far too many umpires "let it go" early, and have situations blow up in the last two innings.

I seriously doubt that states would have needed to impose suspensions and fines if umpires many years ago had put the hammer down on complaining. Umpires "long fuses" do a disservice to the game of baseball and further the culture of poor sportsmanship.
Old Tue Jul 25, 2006, 05:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
In regarding a PU involvement, I was the BU in a high school tourney game, tie game, bases loaded, 2 outs. - slow grounder to SS,hurried throw to F3, BR barely safe, and defensive coach chirping about the call (no big deal). Next batter, grounder to SS, misplayed, all safe. SS picks up ball, throws to pitcher, but over his head, ball rolls to dugout fence(foul terr., but not dead)--runners advance, R3 scores, and as I'm watching the ball, defense coach going nuts, yelling "its your fault!!!"- in various forms,repeatedly. I'm hearing that, thinking he's yelling at SS, when PU finally calls time and ejects him.
Turns out those comments were at me (surprise!), but appreciated the back up.
Archangel
The only friends we have on the diamond are our partners. If you don't have my back I don't want to work with you!
Old Tue Jul 25, 2006, 04:27pm
Official Forum Member

RonF, I dont understand your comment. Read my post again--I was appreciative of my partners actions...
Old Tue Jul 25, 2006, 07:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
RonF, I dont understand your comment. Read my post again--I was appreciative of my partners actions...
I would be mildly pissed for him butting into my business.
Old Fri Jul 28, 2006, 07:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxblue
And I do NOT agree that the plate ump does not have any business in this. If the base ump is too far away to hear the coach continue on with his obvious attempt to incite the crowd , the plate umpire needs to deal with it! This is a form of bench jocking, and the plate umpire SHOULD be dealing with it. This is no different than say the coach says something stupid like "Blue, you are an idiot" loud enough for a few fans to hear it, but not the base ump. The plate ump BETTER eject that coach, even though the comment isn't directed at him personally. You are a TEAM out there!!!
I know in LL the plate ump is also the Umpire-in-chief. So yeah i do agree, the umpires are a team
Old Fri Jul 28, 2006, 07:28pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to aceholleran
This is a generalization, but ...

When I am BU, I don't jump into my pard's game. If he wants to let participants rag his zone, he's making his own bed.

Sometimes, if I feel there is overt gesturing going on (a personal peeve) at PU's work, I will inform him, only if he cannot see it. Every field is laid out differently. On some diamonds, it's easy for weasels to hide from PU's view and put on a show.

I even jumped in once, in a 3-man game (I was U3), where U1's work was being physically ridiculed by multiple coaches in 1B dugout (between innings, with U1 down the RF line). I deemed the gesturing overly large and prolonged, which got the fans going.

But, in general, I am with Fronny. Let each of us pick his battles; jump in only when reinforcements are necessary.

Ace
Old Sat Jul 29, 2006, 01:12am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LLPA13UmpDan
I know in LL the plate ump is also the Umpire-in-chief. So yeah i do agree, the umpires are a team
Being umpire in chief does not mean the umpire is the "boss" on the field. It means he has specific responsibilities.