The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue May 25, 2004, 02:24pm
Official Forum Member

The thread on the ezteams board got me wondering.

Have any of you come into a situation where both or one of teams could be possibly beaning batters on purpose and where you warned both teams that there would be ejections if another batter is hit (like they do in MLB - coach and pitcher goes)?

If so, is there justification for this .. maybe USC? Do you gather both coaches to talk .. or talk to them separately?
Old Tue May 25, 2004, 03:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by wadeintothem
The thread on the ezteams board got me wondering.

Have any of you come into a situation where both or one of teams could be possibly beaning batters on purpose and where you warned both teams that there would be ejections if another batter is hit (like they do in MLB - coach and pitcher goes)?

If so, is there justification for this .. maybe USC? Do you gather both coaches to talk .. or talk to them separately?
I've only had that situation once and put a stop to it immediately. As soon as I recognized what was happening I called time and gave a warning to both coaches that if this type of USC continued not only would the players involved be ejected, the coach on the offending team would be ejected also.

No problems after that.

Michael
Old Tue May 25, 2004, 04:14pm
Official Forum Member

Seems to me that if you recognize it happening (i.e. you KNOW a pitcher threw at a batter intentionally), she's gone. No warning necessary.

I can see a warning if things seem heated, but you aren't pretty sure something was intentional.
Old Fri May 28, 2004, 06:57pm
Official Forum Member

Still active
Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails.
Explore. Dream. Discover."
--Mark Twain.
Old Fri May 28, 2004, 08:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mcrowder
Seems to me that if you recognize it happening (i.e. you KNOW a pitcher threw at a batter intentionally), she's gone. No warning necessary.

I can see a warning if things seem heated, but you aren't pretty sure something was intentional.
If I knew it was intentional then of course the pitcher would be gone. I was refering to recognizing the situation and doing some preventative umpiring before anything else escalated.

Michael
Old Sun May 30, 2004, 09:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mcrowder
...if you KNOW a pitcher threw at a batter intentionally, she's gone. No warning necessary....
This season: Two large high schools playing. They have a history of being big rivals. Visitors batting in the fifth and a very smooth game up until now. A fan from home yells, "Next one's coming at your head." I'm not sure I hear it right but on the next pitch he yells, "Watch your knee, this ones coming right at it."

I call time and go to home team coach to instruct her that she must have her Athletic Director and/or security to have this stopped because we will not have it. She seems very put out that I have stopped the game for this and sarcastically instructs the announcer to announce, "People in the stands are only allowed to say nice things." The announcer makes the announcement with as much sarcasm as the coach put in her request. The crowd had a nice laugh at my expense and I said nothing. (Hey, as long as the threats stop, I am fine.)

I get back in and call play ball. Very first pitch, boom, it hits the batter square in the back. I immediately eject the pitcher. The coach comes out to argue and within 15 seconds yells, "Well if that's your call, you can throw my *** out, too, because you're f****** sorry." (I calmly said, "okay" and she walked off the field.)

The reason I mention this is that I was later instructed by my league office that I should not have ejected the pitcher until I had first "officially" warned her. They overturned the ejection of the pitcher. The ejection of the coach stood.
Old Sun May 30, 2004, 10:09pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to TexBlue
Well, I've never heard of it happening like that in Texas. I've only been in one game when a player was ejected and that one stood. I think, not sure at all, that once you throw someone out for USC, it stands. I know TASO is kinda weird in a lot of ways, but I've only heard of them backing up the umpires so far. Maybe I lead a protected life, and I'm just unaware of it.

So, how do you un-eject someone?
Old Sun May 30, 2004, 10:13pm
Ref Ump Welsch

I'd like to know how an ejection can be undone. Was this "undo" so that the pitcher would not serve a suspension?
Old Mon May 31, 2004, 08:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Ref Ump Welsch
I'd like to know how an ejection can be undone. Was this "undo" so that the pitcher would not serve a suspension?
Not sure. The league office called me and told me that they "overturned" the ejection and that they thought I should have issued warning to both bench first before ejecting. I said okay, that from now on I would do so. I did not ask what they meant by "overturned". I presumed that it meant the pitcher in question did not receive any follow-up penalties. I did not hear if the game was perhaps replayed from the point of the ejection. I was not concerned about that, since... well... it really doesn't matter to me one way or another.
Old Tue Jun 01, 2004, 06:33am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SC Ump
Quote:
Originally posted by Ref Ump Welsch
Not sure. The league office called me and told me that they "overturned" the ejection and that they thought I should have issued warning to both bench first before ejecting. I said okay, that from now on I would do so. I did not ask what they meant by "overturned". I presumed that it meant the pitcher in question did not receive any follow-up penalties. I did not hear if the game was perhaps replayed from the point of the ejection. I was not concerned about that, since... well... it really doesn't matter to me one way or another.
Dan,

I would ask them for their ruling in writing. If this is something that becomes a litigeous matter, you might want something to back-up what you have been told.

Sounds petty, but in today's world, you just never know.

Old Wed Jun 02, 2004, 12:38am
Official Forum Member

"The reason I mention this is that I was later instructed by my league office that I should not have ejected the pitcher until I had first "officially" warned her. They overturned the ejection of the pitcher. The ejection of the coach stood."

Your league office is run by morons. If you see a batter charge the pitcher, and hit her with a bat, I guess you're supposed to say, "Don't do that again. This is your warning". Of course it doesn't do any good for the girl being taken to the hospital with severe head injuries.

Old Wed Jun 02, 2004, 09:07am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to jxt127
Don't know about ASA but in baseball the PU gets the choice.

He/She can eject the pitcher (or both the pitcher and manager) immediately OR warn the manager and pitcher and on the next occurance both are ejected.

Personally if I was very sure it was deliberate I would eject immediately. With a little doubt I would warn.

Some of the pitchers here as so wild that you would have to perform some kind of statistical analysis to determine just where they are actually trying to throw to.

It's like the throw the bat stuff. A flagrant throw can result in immediate ejection but generally a warning for the first offence.
Old Tue Apr 28, 2009, 03:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ref Ump Welsch View Post
i could care less if the player gets suspended or not. If I have her next game and she pulls the same BS or I feel she hits me in the mask on purpose, she's GONE!!! and I can have the pleasure of booting her If my partner doesn't like it, I'll write his report for him, nothing as satisfying as writing reports
Old Tue Apr 28, 2009, 07:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bniu View Post
i could care less if the player gets suspended or not. If I have her next game and she pulls the same BS or I feel she hits me in the mask on purpose, she's GONE!!! and I can have the pleasure of booting her If my partner doesn't like it, I'll write his report for him, nothing as satisfying as writing reports
Was this a token response to commemorate this threads 5th year of not being interesting?
Old Tue Apr 28, 2009, 08:43am
Official Forum Member

What is this, "Night of the Living Thread" or something?

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.