The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Volleyball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Oct 10, 2013, 10:10pm
Official Forum Member

Can a block be a lift?

Weird question I know, but I called it tonight. A girl went up for a block with her hands over the net like they should be. However, when the ball came over it touched her fingers, but then came into her hands (it was a somewhat hard hit). From her hands, she then in my opinion threw it down on the other side of the net. I called a lift and the coach lost it.

It was the weirdest looking "block" I've ever seen, since she grabbed it and threw it down.

Was I right or wrong in calling this?

Thanks,

pfan
Old Thu Oct 10, 2013, 10:51pm
Official Forum Member

We can't really give you a "you were right" or "you were wrong" answer since we weren't present to have our own opinions.

The key thing here is what you've already said:

Quote:
she then in my opinion threw it down on the other side of the net.
If, in your judgement, she caught the ball and/or threw the ball, then whistle the play indicating the fault was a caught/thrown ball (which you did).
I've whistled it before, and I've seen it whistled, so it can definitely happen.

Here's my follow up: what did you do when the coach lost it?
Old Fri Oct 11, 2013, 08:15pm
Official Forum Member

I told her that's how I saw it, and she said, "Well your opinion is the only one that counts." I politely smiled and agreed. She smiled it off a little bit.

In retrospect, if a coach approached me between games about a call.....

"I have a question about that call......"

"Coach, please put your hands in your pockets and have a respectful conversation about what I saw......."

If it goes well, great. If it goes poorly, then that coach has lost his/her privilege to an explanation.

The reason for the hands in the pockets is because this coach became very animated and I believe that this reflected poorly on myself and the coach.

What do you think?

pfan
Old Fri Oct 11, 2013, 10:14pm
Official Forum Member

I'm not sure I would've told the coach to put her hands in her pockets.To me as a coach that says you're not willing to listen to what I said or what I'm showing you.If it was me I would've said something like-"Coach I would be more than happy to answer,here's what I saw on that play....." I believe coaches are always going to use their hands to demonstrate so as long as she is being calm I have no problems with her using her hands.
The golfing volleyball ref and official scorekeeper
Old Sat Oct 12, 2013, 04:47am
Official Forum Member

Did the coach approach you post-match looking for an explanation on that call or did you offer an explanation without their initiation? If the latter, this is how you corner yourself, so avoid doing that.

Definitely stay away from giving orders, directions when communicating with coaches (and people in general, mostly).

They're allowed to vent (to a certain degree) and their gestures shouldn't really concern you unless they're inappropriate and/or directed to you, your partner, or anyone with direct involvement with the match.

Don't offer your view unless specifically asked (and even then, one sentence is the limit). Otherwise, simply saying, "I understand" and "I hear ya, coach" goes a long way.
Old Sat Oct 12, 2013, 05:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonio.King View Post

Don't offer your view unless specifically asked (and even then, one sentence is the limit). Otherwise, simply saying, "I understand" and "I hear ya, coach" goes a long way.
I think I will go with this. It's similar to what I use in basketball, "We didn't see it that way coach", but it's usually as you are running by You can't really have a two minute conversation about it.
Old Tue Oct 15, 2013, 12:00am
Official Forum Member

As pointed out, we can't make a judgement on something we did not see, but from what you said, there are some things you should consider. Just because it looked funny or unusual does not make it illegal. There is way too much of that out there. Blockers can use wrist action to redirect or add velocity to the ball. You should always have a technical reason for a fault that you call. If it was caught, thrown, prolong contact - it was illegal. Now, all those terms are subjective. Only experience and studying other more experienced officials will give you a better understanding and your opinion will change over time.

Just because they are not happy does not mean you did not make the right call.

Once again. The uncommon may not be illegal. One hand sets, overpass saves, power dinks (tips), major roofs look "unusual" but (IMHO) are called illegal when they are not.

My response during a match: "Do you have a rules question? Ball handling is subjective and not open to discussion."

Don't seek out conversations about the match or calls you made except by other officials, hopefully mentors in private.
Old Sun Oct 20, 2013, 07:51pm
Official Forum Member

Coach between sets

Only the captain can talk to the officials.
Old Mon Oct 21, 2013, 09:54pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to FMadera Send a message via AIM to FMadera Send a message via Yahoo to FMadera
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grossberger View Post
Only the captain can talk to the officials.
Only in FIVB-centric rule sets.
PAVO National Referee / Certified Line Judge/Scorer
WIAA/IHSA Volleyball Referee