The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Volleyball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed May 01, 2013, 07:45pm
Official Forum Member

Protocol: Why are we picking on Team B?

It's the end of set one, we blow the whistle, give the X and Popeye arms. Team B goes back to their bench and gets water bottles and gear. I have seen everything from no response, verbal admonishment, delay penalties, and yellow cards for the team B players not proceeding counter clockwise outs the court. At the same time, notice that team A has gone back to their bench to collect their gear. So why is it so important that these six players on our left follow this protocol. Exactly what are we trying to achieve here? I have heard it is to reduce congestion around the score table or reduce the chance for confrontation. Really? 6 out of 30 or more people? Then we have the players that do conform have to run from the side A bench back to the side B bench....past the score table through the opponents. If that is the principle we are working on then we should have the whole team and staff come around counter clockwise. It seems silly to me.

Just a random thought.
Old Tue May 07, 2013, 08:50am
Official Forum Member

I absolutely agree with you!!!! When I officiate I do tend to get annoyed that I have to "remind" team B to go around (or in front of) the ref stand. However, when I coach I get annoyed that my team has to do that!

I really have a hard time justifying the reasoning to my 16's players who have a hard time finding the meanness to kill a spider. All they want to do is make sure that they get their water/sports drink bottles and/or their gear so that they don't lose it. Also, as you said, they now have to walk into Team A's bench area to retrieve said "stuff", so the theory that the protocol limits team interaction while changing sides is rendered moot.

It does serve a purpose if two teams really don't like each other or if there are enough extra players/managers to gather up everything on the bench. But for the vast majority of instances it really is silly.
Old Tue May 07, 2013, 09:41am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to FMadera Send a message via AIM to FMadera Send a message via Yahoo to FMadera
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaREF View Post
I really have a hard time justifying the reasoning to my 16's players who have a hard time finding the meanness to kill a spider. All they want to do is make sure that they get their water/sports drink bottles and/or their gear so that they don't lose it. Also, as you said, they now have to walk into Team A's bench area to retrieve said "stuff", so the theory that the protocol limits team interaction while changing sides is rendered moot.
When I coached, I had a bucket that we kept everyone's drink in. When it was time to change courts, one of the bench players was in charge of grabbing the bucket. That way, no one had to stop at the bench.
PAVO National Referee / Certified Line Judge/Scorer
WIAA/IHSA Volleyball Referee
Old Tue May 14, 2013, 11:11pm
Official Forum Member

Felix, that is a good tip that I have seen applied well. But in the convention center atmosphere there is also a ball cart or bag and every player has a backpack. I am pretty forgiving on the player on the court that darts to their bench to grab their stuff before giving the half harted attempt to go the long way around. I have seen refs that warn, scold, and apply delay penalties or cards for players not following the 'protocol'.
Old Sat May 25, 2013, 01:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldsetter View Post
It's the end of set one, we blow the whistle, give the X and Popeye arms. Team B goes back to their bench and gets water bottles and gear. I have seen everything from no response, verbal admonishment, delay penalties, and yellow cards for the team B players not proceeding counter clockwise outs the court. At the same time, notice that team A has gone back to their bench to collect their gear. So why is it so important that these six players on our left follow this protocol. Exactly what are we trying to achieve here? I have heard it is to reduce congestion around the score table or reduce the chance for confrontation. Really? 6 out of 30 or more people? Then we have the players that do conform have to run from the side A bench back to the side B bench....past the score table through the opponents. If that is the principle we are working on then we should have the whole team and staff come around counter clockwise. It seems silly to me.

Just a random thought.
Ask Texas why this is in place.

Seriously, I don't understand it, but I do recall several years ago a story about Texas not allowing officials to have a pre-game / post-game handshake because of fights breaking out during the handshake.

I personally don't like the rule, but I understand it. I have never given a card to a team captain for a team violating the protocol. I have however called a captain over and reminded them of the proper post-set procedures. I have also given a card to a coach for complaining about the opposing team not following protocol (among other things).