The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Apr 11, 2006, 06:02am
Official Forum Member

Talking Pitcher's Protocol

Speaking NFHS/ The rule states that the pitcher, after taking her position on the PP and taking a signal from catcher must then bring her "HANDS TOGETHER" for at least a second and not more than 10 seconds. My question is if the pitcher is right handed, has the ball in right hand, is it considered bringing the hands together if she just brings the ball up and touches it to the tip of her glove on the other hand, or does the ball and hand have to go INSIDE the glove?
Old Tue Apr 11, 2006, 06:11am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to shipwreck
Nowhere does it say inside, so together means to touch. I do not have my rule book with me but doesn't it say somewhere that the hands have to come together for at least 1 second but not more than 10 seconds? In my estimation if they come together with just a quick glancing touch, that is not 1 second. I am not sure if that 1 and 10 second rule is NFHS or ASA or both. Dave
Old Tue Apr 11, 2006, 07:45am
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
The books do say 1 - 10 seconds, but any touch, inside or outside, under or over, is considered to be one second.
Old Tue Apr 11, 2006, 08:22am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to shipwreck
Cecil, I agree. I have only seen or heard of one umpire that called an IP for not touching for a second. Seems like we have many more things to worry about other than if it was 1/2, 3/4 or 1 second. Dave
Old Tue Apr 11, 2006, 08:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipwreck
Cecil, I agree. I have only seen or heard of one umpire that called an IP for not touching for a second. Seems like we have many more things to worry about other than if it was 1/2, 3/4 or 1 second. Dave
Actually, I wish they would go to the ISF rule which requires a two-second stop.

The pitcher's have really taken the "one second" to a limit and the officiating has allowed it to the point some umpires basically ignore the rule.
Old Tue Apr 11, 2006, 09:43am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IRISHMAFIA
The pitcher's have really taken the "one second" to a limit and the officiating has allowed it to the point some umpires basically ignore the rule.
Agreed, the pitchers are pushing it, but "one second" is not a time easily distinguished; can you really tell the difference between .5 and 1 second?

If ASA / NFHS wants a pause, they should say "pause".
Old Tue Apr 11, 2006, 10:09am
Official Forum Member

My friends... in Italy - as you already know - ISF rules are enforced.
So that a pitcher must STOP not less than 2 seconds.
It's not a PAUSE: it must be a stop.

No problems with it: generally when you have a pitcher who doesn't respect this, you can have a little talk with her/her coach and fix it before the game starts (just take a look to warm up pitches and you will know...).

Do you ask yourself WHY this stop PRIOR the pitch starts is so important?
Because ISF is trying to make softball a BATTING sport... not only a 1-0 sport with tens of K3s.

And if this intention is all right with countries like Italy... you should enforce this rule in USA, too; where pitching mechanics are (probably) the best in the world...

Just my opinion...

Ciao

Last edited by Antonella; Tue Apr 11, 2006 at 10:12am.