View Single Post
Old Sat May 25, 2013, 01:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldsetter View Post
It's the end of set one, we blow the whistle, give the X and Popeye arms. Team B goes back to their bench and gets water bottles and gear. I have seen everything from no response, verbal admonishment, delay penalties, and yellow cards for the team B players not proceeding counter clockwise outs the court. At the same time, notice that team A has gone back to their bench to collect their gear. So why is it so important that these six players on our left follow this protocol. Exactly what are we trying to achieve here? I have heard it is to reduce congestion around the score table or reduce the chance for confrontation. Really? 6 out of 30 or more people? Then we have the players that do conform have to run from the side A bench back to the side B bench....past the score table through the opponents. If that is the principle we are working on then we should have the whole team and staff come around counter clockwise. It seems silly to me.

Just a random thought.
Ask Texas why this is in place.

Seriously, I don't understand it, but I do recall several years ago a story about Texas not allowing officials to have a pre-game / post-game handshake because of fights breaking out during the handshake.

I personally don't like the rule, but I understand it. I have never given a card to a team captain for a team violating the protocol. I have however called a captain over and reminded them of the proper post-set procedures. I have also given a card to a coach for complaining about the opposing team not following protocol (among other things).