The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Volleyball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Apr 28, 2011, 08:04pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Scorekeeper error

This did not happen in a match that I worked, but it was posed to me by a very senior official. Team A wins rally and asks the official scorer who is the correct server. The scorer tells the coach (and this is all heard by the R2) that #12 is the correct server. #12's service results in three points for Team A when the official scorer informs the R2 that she made a mistake and #12 is not the correct server.

How should this be resolved? I didn't have my rulebook with me, but I said that the fair thing to do is to cancel the 3 points, put Team A in the proper alignment and allow the correct server to serve for Team A.

I know the rules aren't always fair, but the senior official said I was correct. Anyone have a specific rule citation that covers this situation?
Old Fri Apr 29, 2011, 12:56pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to FMadera Send a message via AIM to FMadera Send a message via Yahoo to FMadera
First of all, the coach shouldn't be asking the scorer, all communication should go through the R2. But that's another topic...

We know the fair solution, which is what you gave. But then there's the real world solution/answer. I am personally aware of a match this past season (with two officials I know and respect) in which the same situation occurred, and the solution was basically, bottom line, the wrong player served, and the other team got the point.

There was a protest filed with the NCAA or the conference (don't recall who handled that part), and that was upheld as the correct ruling, despite the fact that the coach was given incorrect information. The wrong person served, and there's no rule that dictates allowing it or going back and fixing it.

I would imagine there will be a case scenario written up, and maybe a rule change, to allow for this to be fixed, but the problem might be a coach claiming they were told that person X was their server, when they were not told that.
PAVO National Referee / Certified Line Judge/Scorer
WIAA/IHSA Volleyball Referee
Old Mon May 02, 2011, 08:03am
Lighten up, Francis.

Thanks, Felix. After being unable to find any support for my "fair" ruling, I wondered if something like what you explained might be the correct way to handle it. I'm going to double check with the veteran who told me my way was correct.