The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat May 08, 2010, 06:19pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Thumbs up A scorekeeper after my own heart

Spring league V game this afternoon. Coach A has been kind of a jerk all game, as he was last week when I also had his team. About 15 seconds to go, and his team is down by one, 71-70. A1 fouls B1 in the act of shooting a three and the shot misses. My partner calls it. No real squawk from Coach A as the foul was quite obvious. B1 hits all three shots. Score now 74-70, B ahead. Timeout, team A. They come out, hold the ball until 5 seconds left and A2 hits a three. It's now 74-73 and the clock shows 3 seconds. Team B just lets the clock run out and the horn sounds. Game over.

Coach A runs over to the scorer's table and yells at the scoreboard keeper, "THAT WAS A THREE! THE GAME'S TIED!!!". The scoreboard keeper, who is a parent from the other team (each team provides one person for the table) replies, "Yes it was a three and no the game's not tied. You see, for the game to be tied, each team would have to have the same number of points. That's what the word "tied" means. Your team trailed by four points and adding three to that means you now have one less than the other team. It's a fairly simple concept they teach in first grade math. After watching you coach, I must admit I'm not surprised you don't know how to add up to four."

Coach A just stared at him for a moment, then walked back to his bench. It was all I could do to not crack up. My partner (one of the few refs around here who's actually older than me) was on the other side of the court with his back turned and was laughing so hard he had to cover his mouth.

Even the bookkeeper, who was a dad from team A, was chuckling. I just shook the scoreboard guy's hand and told him he could keep the clock for me anytime.
Old Sat May 08, 2010, 06:35pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
I wonder if "the Eagle" would be proud?
Old Sat May 08, 2010, 11:33pm
Official Forum Member

I don't know about him but I'm getting a pretty big laugh out of this one right now.Maybe that should be our standard reply when anyone questions a table member!This guy could work the clock for me anytime.
Old Sun May 09, 2010, 04:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
Coach A runs over to the scorer's table and yells at the scoreboard keeper, "THAT WAS A THREE! THE GAME'S TIED!!!". The scoreboard keeper, who is a parent from the other team (each team provides one person for the table) replies,
Another good answer might have been: "Tied game? Contradiction", pointing at Mark.

Ciao
Old Sun May 09, 2010, 08:25am
Esteemed Forum Member

Overtime? What's That ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by eg-italy View Post
Another good answer might have been: "Tied game? Contradiction", pointing at Mark.
Thought that I would never see the day when Mark Padgett started a thread where the score was close enough to possibly go into overtime. He must be slipping? After all, his business card says, "Have Whistle. No Overtime."

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun May 09, 2010 at 09:20am.
Old Sun May 09, 2010, 05:00pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
You should get him a badge that says "Scorekeeper of the Year" and have him wear it whenever that coach's team is playing his team.