Thread: Uniform
View Single Post
Old Sat Oct 31, 2009, 10:37pm
Official Forum Member

I've officiated in Pa for 20 years and have given up hope that we will ever switch to the white shirts. It may happen some day but it probably won't be until my officiating days are over.

The 'official' reason for not going to white shirts that I have gotten is that everyone recognizes the people in the zebra shirts so there is no need to change. My take is that the powers that be either don't want multi-sport officials to have to buy a different shirt and/or are afraid that they will lose a bunch of same officials if forced to buy another shirt.

Volleyball is seen by the PIAA heirarchy as a 'lesser' sport and most of the representatives have coached/played/officiated the 'glamour' sports of football, baseball, and basketball. They're used to the stripes on football and basketball officials and have always seen solid-color shirts in baseball. I would venture to say that the overwhelming majority of the folks who vote down the white shirts for volleyball have never seen a college volleyball match and don't know that USAV volleyball exists.

If there is any consolation, they don't discriminate against volleyball officials. They still require soccer officials to wear stripes and they have changed the swimming officials' uniform from white to blue pants, supposedly for the reason you stated.

Oh yeah, there's a county in north-central Pa. that we like to refer to as God's Country. Take a trip there and maybe you'll feel like you're home!