The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Volleyball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Dec 26, 2008, 03:34pm
Official Forum Member

Volleyball officiating

Lets get the volleyball thread going again!
Old Sat Dec 27, 2008, 12:23am
Official Forum Member

OK. What do you want to talk about?
Old Thu Jan 01, 2009, 05:42am
Resident VB Rules Guru

Send a message via AIM to MCBear Send a message via MSN to MCBear Send a message via Yahoo to MCBear Send a message via Skype™ to MCBear
This is pretty normal for this time of the year since high school and college women''s volleyball is finished and USAV/boys' high school/men's collegiate hasn't begun yet.

Most of our discussions have been on the NFHS board since the USAV Discussion Forum has not been restarted.

So, youngref33, as refnrev asked, what do you want to talk about?

And, I am sure that leeai's post will be deleted as the spam that it is.
CIF State Volleyball State Championships Referee (2005), Scorekeeper (2006-2007) & Libero Tracker (2010)
PAVO State Referee (2014) / PAVO Certified Scorekeeper (2014) / PAVO Certified Line Judge (2012)
USAV Junior National Referee (resigned 2013) / USAV National Scorekeeper (2014)
Old Thu Jan 01, 2009, 06:26pm
Official Forum Member

MC Bear,
Just read your signature line. Tell me you didn't!
Old Fri Jan 02, 2009, 12:50am
Resident VB Rules Guru

Send a message via AIM to MCBear Send a message via MSN to MCBear Send a message via Yahoo to MCBear Send a message via Skype™ to MCBear
rev, wish I could deny it, but, unfortunately, it did happen to me on 9/11. I was just getting ready to beckon the teams onto the court for a high school varsity match when the fastening strap located at platform height let loose and I ended up going down from a height of between 4 to 4-1/2 feet up. The fall gave me a spiral fracture of the right tibia just above the ankle. I spent five days in the hospital while they got me stabilized and cast; was unable to referee for the fall high school girls and college women's seasons; got the cast off my ankle on December 3 and will see the podiatrist on January 14 to see if I am discharged or remain under care. Now I have to rehab the right leg and ankle so that I can walk, climb, stand for longer periods of time to be able to resume refereeing.
CIF State Volleyball State Championships Referee (2005), Scorekeeper (2006-2007) & Libero Tracker (2010)
PAVO State Referee (2014) / PAVO Certified Scorekeeper (2014) / PAVO Certified Line Judge (2012)
Old Fri Jan 02, 2009, 11:37am
Official Forum Member

Well, I do have a question!

How can I get any games in the off season?

Sadly, the USVB region in my area only has "prospective official" clinics on Sundays, which does not allow me to take the class and get involved with the program. And since I can't go to another region, take the training and use it in my area, I'm just out of luck.

Are there any other organizations other than USVB that run off season stuff so I can referee in the winter?
Old Fri Jan 02, 2009, 12:31pm
Resident VB Rules Guru

jkumpire, which USAV Region do you live in? I do not know if you have any AAU volleyball in your area or not, but that might be a possibility. Also, if there are any JVDA teams in your area, they might be able to direct you to somewhere for training. Unfortunately, there are times that the regions of USAV do not seem to consider that scheduling all trainings on Sunday just might not work out for everyone.

You might still contact your USAV Region office and let them know of your interest while letting them know that their Sunday schedule just doesn't work out for you. I am quite sure that you are not alone in not being able to attend their trainings.
Old Fri Jan 02, 2009, 10:00pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCBear View Post
rev, wish I could deny it, but, unfortunately, it did happen to me on 9/11. I was just getting ready to beckon the teams onto the court for a high school varsity match when the fastening strap located at platform height let loose and I ended up going down from a height of between 4 to 4-1/2 feet up. The fall gave me a spiral fracture of the right tibia just above the ankle. I spent five days in the hospital while they got me stabilized and cast; was unable to referee for the fall high school girls and college women's seasons; got the cast off my ankle on December 3 and will see the podiatrist on January 14 to see if I am discharged or remain under care. Now I have to rehab the right leg and ankle so that I can walk, climb, stand for longer periods of time to be able to resume refereeing.
I think the respose I'm looking for is oooooooohh! That hurts just thinking about it? Tell the doc to give you a good report and get back on the stand ASAP!!!! Will be praying for a good report!
Old Sat Jan 03, 2009, 03:46am
Resident VB Rules Guru

Thanks, rev! I can use all the prayers that I can get. This has been a really long lay-off and it hurts in one place other than where the ankle was fractured...my rear pocket where my billfold is located since No Ref=No Pay!
Old Tue Jan 06, 2009, 11:53am
Official Forum Member

I had once refuse the stand becuase it was way too woobly.

Safety first.
Old Tue Jan 06, 2009, 11:26pm
Official Forum Member

Bear....

Quote:
jkumpire, which USAV Region do you live in? I do not know if you have any AAU volleyball in your area or not, but that might be a possibility. Also, if there are any JVDA teams in your area, they might be able to direct you to somewhere for training. Unfortunately, there are times that the regions of USAV do not seem to consider that scheduling all trainings on Sunday just might not work out for everyone.

You might still contact your USAV Region office and let them know of your interest while letting them know that their Sunday schedule just doesn't work out for you. I am quite sure that you are not alone in not being able to attend their trainings.
Already talked to USAV folks (OVR) and let them know of the problem, the response was "oh well", or words to that effect. They must have enough people.

Neither other organization is in my area.
Old Wed Jan 07, 2009, 07:27am
Resident VB Rules Guru

Have you talked or corresponded directly with Brian or did you communicate with the OVR office? Knowing Brian as I do, he might be able to suggest something. In my estimation, Ohio has one of the toughest official training programs in the country from what I have seen of the requirements. But, they are thorough and do an excellent job of making sure that you are well-trained before advancing you to the next rating.

Good luck. I wish you well in getting something accomplished for this season.
Old Wed Jan 07, 2009, 12:15pm
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Thanks, rev! I can use all the prayers that I can get. This has been a really long lay-off and it hurts in one place other than where the ankle was fractured...my rear pocket where my billfold is located since No Ref=No Pay!
Hi MCBear...please excuse the interruption but I lurk here on occasion and this post caught my eye. I don't know if you subscribe to "Referee" magazine, however in this month's issue, there is a news story about a volleyball official back east that broke her leg in a similar situation. It looks like there is some legal wrangling going on over whether this would be covered by the school's worker's compensation or not.

At any rate, I hope your recovery goes fast and you are back to it soon!
Old Thu Jan 08, 2009, 04:01am
Resident VB Rules Guru

Welpe, thanks for your post. I am not really concerned about worker's comp because, as an independent contractor, I am not covered by the schools' worker's comp policy since I am NOT their employee nor an employee of my local officials' association. As an independent contractor, I am considered to be self-employed and therefore, not covered under the schools' worker's comp provisions. Thanks for your well-wishes.

I was able to get on the stand for one match during the Boys Far West National Qualifier Bid Tournament last weekend and, let me tell you...it felt WONDERFUL to be back on the stand again. If you are familiar with Joni Mitchell's song "Big Yellow Taxi". this lyric in that song came to me as I was reffing the match:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joni Mitchell in Big Yellow Taxi
Don't it always seem to go
That you don't know what you've got
Till it's gone.
I have a new appreciation for being able to be a part of the wonderful sport as volleyball. I am so grateful that I have been given the chance to return to reffing a sport that I have come to love.
Old Fri Jan 09, 2009, 11:42pm
Official Forum Member

MC Bear,
Hey, been praying for you. What did the doc say? Inquiring minds want to know. RR