The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Volleyball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Sep 11, 2000, 05:35am
PDLeBoutillier

Talking

Hey! Anyone on this forum willing to help a basketball ref who's been asked to do some volunteer VB highschool officiating work this season??? I'm a rookie and have lots of questions. I ordered the NFHS rule book and Offical's Manual but to be honest, it takes some serious reading to glean the basics and I'm trying to spend my time boning up on my BB rules in preparation for my certification test this December. I could really use some help with VB basics. Any takers?
Old Mon Sep 11, 2000, 09:59am
Official Forum Member

What are you specifically looking for? There are a lot of things, where do you think you need to start?

Old Mon Sep 11, 2000, 05:01pm
PDLeBoutillier

PD
quote:
Originally posted by Brian Watson:
What are you specifically looking for? There are a lot of things, where do you think you need to start?

Basics!!

1. How many Time Outs are allowed?
2. What are the most common violations in girls high school VB?
3. What sorts of things do VB refs commonly miss?
4. Since I probably won't be working with an Umpire across the net, but only two line judges, what should I be most aware of?
Old Tue Sep 12, 2000, 10:37am
Official Forum Member

2 To's ( and you make the T with your hands). they get a 3rd if you go to "ot", which means the game is 14-14. And remember if the calling team is ready, the TO is over.

The most common violations are illegal hits. If the ball comes to a rest or is carried it is an illegal hit. You also need to back for a backrow attack or screen if the setter is coming out of the back row.

Establish the palyabe area, and enforce it.

Illegal alignments are missed frequently, but without an ump, don't worry about it. Call the ovious major stuff and you will be ok. Since you won't have a set of eyes on the net, keep one hand on it to feel movement.

and Good Luck.