The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Volleyball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Oct 17, 2008, 08:25pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Back row attack, revisited

In my match this afternoon, one team was fairly athletic and used a libero a great deal and the other team was not all that athletic, and had no real jumpers. It was a perfect match to work on remembering the back row players, because I only ever had to remember 2 of them. I could ignore the unathletic team's back row, because they weren't going to get above the net, even if they were in the front row; and the athletic team used a libero, so I only really had to remember the other two back row players.

I felt like I had some success with it. There were no illegal attacks, but I was able to note mentally that the attacks were legal. I'm certainly not proficient at it, but it felt like a tiny step in the right direction.
Old Sat Oct 18, 2008, 10:14am
Official Forum Member

Scrappy,
In my last game BR attacks became crystal clear. During the first match it was suddenly as if I could actually see everything better and more clearly. For the first time in doing volleyball I was giving legal BR signals because it just clicked. I felt like I was back in 4th grade when the math problem just suddenly made sense and the lightbulb went on. or like the Apostle Paul when the scales fell from his eyes. I hope you have that same experience. It was truly awesome. IA in some of the more sophisticated lineups that some tems around here use are still tricky, though.
Old Sat Oct 18, 2008, 05:52pm
Resident VB Rules Guru

Send a message via AIM to MCBear Send a message via MSN to MCBear Send a message via Yahoo to MCBear Send a message via Skype™ to MCBear
Ditto, rev, that's how it was for me many moons ago. All of a sudden I saw the BR attack and called it. I spent a lot of time after that, though, trying to figure out exactly what I did so I was sure that I could repeat my performance if required.
CIF State Volleyball State Championships Referee (2005), Scorekeeper (2006-2007) & Libero Tracker (2010)
PAVO State Referee (2014) / PAVO Certified Scorekeeper (2014) / PAVO Certified Line Judge (2012)
USAV Junior National Referee (resigned 2013) / USAV National Scorekeeper (2014)
Old Sun Oct 19, 2008, 10:54pm
Official Forum Member

I was lucky enough to work lines on a DI match on Friday and spent the whole time making sure I knew who the BR players on both teams were.

Did it affect my calls, no. But after the game I felt like I was finally getting it and at one point I almost started to give the subtle BR Attack signal to the R1.
She of course had it, but I did get a little internal chuckle out of the situation.

PS- I love the Libero so that there are only 4 at any time to remember.
Old Mon Oct 20, 2008, 07:53pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Ok, I still have to work at it, but I'm now very confident that I can keep track of the libero and the two other back row players on ONE of the teams, about 95% of the time. Still no idea who the back row is on the other team, though.
Old Tue Oct 21, 2008, 03:48am
Resident VB Rules Guru

Send a message via AIM to MCBear Send a message via MSN to MCBear Send a message via Yahoo to MCBear Send a message via Skype™ to MCBear
Just give it a little time, Scrapper, and it will make sense to you. You are making progress, young one! It shall all be revealed in due course.
CIF State Volleyball State Championships Referee (2005), Scorekeeper (2006-2007) & Libero Tracker (2010)
PAVO State Referee (2014) / PAVO Certified Scorekeeper (2014) / PAVO Certified Line Judge (2012)
Old Tue Oct 21, 2008, 09:36am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCBear View Post
...You are making progress, young one! It shall all be revealed in due course...
Once you can snatch the pebble from my hand.....you shall be prepared.....
Old Tue Oct 21, 2008, 03:51pm
Resident VB Rules Guru

Wax on...wax off. Paint the fence.
Old Tue Oct 21, 2008, 04:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCBear View Post
Wax on...wax off.
Huh. I always thought that was a sex joke.