The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Volleyball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Oct 22, 2008, 11:27am
Official Forum Member

Question: rules on celebrating

Sit: Team A has never won a district title, after the last point of the match, team A and subs and fans storms the court for a celebration, "Before shaking hands with the opponents." Just wondering if there was a rule to back up what the ref said he was going to do if they didn't line up and shake hands??

The ref said if they didn't line up to shake hands immediately, he could
A. take the last point away
B. give it to the other team
c. give the other team the ball for the next serve

IS ALL OF THIS EVEN POSSIBLE??? Just wondering for further reference. I know they need to shake hands, but goodness, let the kids celebrate a little bit.
And oh yeah, the point before this happened, the girls on the bench thought it was over so they stormed the floor a little bit early and he gave their team a time out for delay of game!!! And said lucky you had one left or he would of took that point away too and gave the opponents the ball.... Just thought this might be a little excessive and if there are rules to back up these situations or was he just being a jerk....
Old Wed Oct 22, 2008, 01:40pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jritchie View Post
Sit: Team A has never won a district title, after the last point of the match, team A and subs and fans storms the court for a celebration, "Before shaking hands with the opponents." Just wondering if there was a rule to back up what the ref said he was going to do if they didn't line up and shake hands??

IS ALL OF THIS EVEN POSSIBLE??? Just wondering for further reference. I know they need to shake hands, but goodness, let the kids celebrate a little bit.
And oh yeah, the point before this happened, the girls on the bench thought it was over so they stormed the floor a little bit early and he gave their team a time out for delay of game!!! And said lucky you had one left or he would of took that point away too and gave the opponents the ball.... Just thought this might be a little excessive and if there are rules to back up these situations or was he just being a jerk....

Game is over. By rule he can't take the point away. This exact senerio has been covered in the Case Book - correct ruling - "Game over - get your butt outta there!"
Old Wed Oct 22, 2008, 02:24pm
Official Forum Member

As for the UD when the the kids stormed the court at 24, I think that's probably the right call. Though I don't think the official has any grounds for canceling points. An UD penalty, when a team has no TOs remaining, is a Point/LOR awarded to the other team, not cancellation of points.

The only situations I'm aware of in which you cancel points are an improper server, illegal substitute, illegal replacement.

And yes, the official is being a jerk.

Last edited by Back In The Saddle; Wed Oct 22, 2008 at 02:34pm.
Old Wed Oct 22, 2008, 02:46pm
Official Forum Member

This is the worst volleyball rule ever! I've dealt with this several times in JOV's

Because an official can award the point erroneously, purposely, or carelessly and then say, "I'm sorry I said point to them so game is over."

All we can do is protest and then maybe hear about it, two-three months down the road, if anyone cared to follow up.
Old Thu Oct 23, 2008, 12:53am
Resident VB Rules Guru

Send a message via AIM to MCBear Send a message via MSN to MCBear Send a message via Yahoo to MCBear Send a message via Skype™ to MCBear
Quote:
Originally Posted by jritchie

jritchie, he was not just being a jerk, he was being a JERK FIRST CLASS!!! First, the R1 cannot do any of those things that he threatened to do. Once game point goes down, the game/match is over unless there is a foul/fault on the team that would negate the point being given. The options that he proposed are not within the choices that he has based on the rules of the game.

Second, concerning the previous point where the R1 assessed Team A with an Unnecessary Delay Time-Out - I agree that it may have been excessive but, again, he cannot remove a point that has been earned unless Team A was guilty of a foul, fault, wrong server or an Illegal Alignment during the previous rally. If they had not had a T-O remaining, they would have been assessed a penalty LOR and Team B would have gotten the ball and a penalty point, but Team A would not lose any points.

That is a perfect example of someone who thinks that they know the rules, not knowing what they are doing, thus inserting themselves unnecessarily into the game and of coaches who also don't know the rules giving a satisfactory rating so this official can be put in a position to show his ignorance in a big way.
CIF State Volleyball State Championships Referee (2005), Scorekeeper (2006-2007) & Libero Tracker (2010)
PAVO State Referee (2014) / PAVO Certified Scorekeeper (2014) / PAVO Certified Line Judge (2012)
USAV Junior National Referee (resigned 2013) / USAV National Scorekeeper (2014)
Old Thu Oct 23, 2008, 07:23am
Official Forum Member

Thanks for all comments. Will forward to our Varsity Volleyball coach! Have a great day.