The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Volleyball (https://forum.officiating.com/volleyball/)
-   -   Back row attack, revisited (https://forum.officiating.com/volleyball/49396-back-row-attack-revisited.html)

Scrapper1 Fri Oct 17, 2008 08:25pm

Back row attack, revisited

In my match this afternoon, one team was fairly athletic and used a libero a great deal and the other team was not all that athletic, and had no real jumpers. It was a perfect match to work on remembering the back row players, because I only ever had to remember 2 of them. I could ignore the unathletic team's back row, because they weren't going to get above the net, even if they were in the front row; and the athletic team used a libero, so I only really had to remember the other two back row players.

I felt like I had some success with it. There were no illegal attacks, but I was able to note mentally that the attacks were legal. I'm certainly not proficient at it, but it felt like a tiny step in the right direction.

refnrev Sat Oct 18, 2008 10:14am

Scrappy,
In my last game BR attacks became crystal clear. During the first match it was suddenly as if I could actually see everything better and more clearly. For the first time in doing volleyball I was giving legal BR signals because it just clicked. I felt like I was back in 4th grade when the math problem just suddenly made sense and the lightbulb went on. or like the Apostle Paul when the scales fell from his eyes. I hope you have that same experience. It was truly awesome. IA in some of the more sophisticated lineups that some tems around here use are still tricky, though.

MCBear Sat Oct 18, 2008 05:52pm

Ditto, rev, that's how it was for me many moons ago. All of a sudden I saw the BR attack and called it. I spent a lot of time after that, though, trying to figure out exactly what I did so I was sure that I could repeat my performance if required.

outathm Sun Oct 19, 2008 10:54pm

I was lucky enough to work lines on a DI match on Friday and spent the whole time making sure I knew who the BR players on both teams were.

Did it affect my calls, no. But after the game I felt like I was finally getting it and at one point I almost started to give the subtle BR Attack signal to the R1.
She of course had it, but I did get a little internal chuckle out of the situation.

PS- I love the Libero so that there are only 4 at any time to remember.:)

Scrapper1 Mon Oct 20, 2008 07:53pm

Ok, I still have to work at it, but I'm now very confident that I can keep track of the libero and the two other back row players on ONE of the teams, about 95% of the time. Still no idea who the back row is on the other team, though.

MCBear Tue Oct 21, 2008 03:48am

Just give it a little time, Scrapper, and it will make sense to you. You are making progress, young one! It shall all be revealed in due course.

Andy Tue Oct 21, 2008 09:36am

Quote:

Originally Posted by MCBear (Post 544371)
...You are making progress, young one! It shall all be revealed in due course...

Once you can snatch the pebble from my hand.....you shall be prepared.....:)

MCBear Tue Oct 21, 2008 03:51pm

Wax on...wax off. Paint the fence.

mbyron Tue Oct 21, 2008 04:56pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by MCBear (Post 544572)
Wax on...wax off.

Huh. I always thought that was a sex joke.:o