The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Dec 12, 2003, 10:27am
Official Forum Member

Got home in time last night to watch most of this game. As a Purdue fan, I was upset with the final score, but the game lived up to its billing.

One interesting call: Purdue was at the line to shoot a 1 and bonus. Apparently, however, everyone thought it was a 2-shot situation, because no players moved to rebound after the first shot was missed. I don't recall if the official just got the ball, or if a player tossed the ball to the official, or what happened. By this time, I was assuming it was a 2-shot penalty, as well.

Suddenly the official is talking to Keady and Oklahoma is inbounding under the basket. How do we decide who gets the ball in this situation? I don't know who had the AP arrow last night, so I don't know how it was handled.

The officials last night, who included Ed Hightower, also had an inadvertant whistle. Otherwise, they did an excellent job and were barely noticeable in an extremely hard fought game. I expect these two teams will still be playing in March.
Old Fri Dec 12, 2003, 01:38pm
Official Forum Member

Did anybody else notice Hightower give the travelling signal on the OOB violation? Oops!
Old Fri Dec 12, 2003, 06:22pm
Official Forum Member

Great drama.

I saw much of the second half, including the 1 + 1 situation, but I wasn't focused on the entire play either. Keady seemed to accept the explanation without too much ruckus. No doubt due to the professionalism and reputation of the crew involved. And maybe because it didn't happen in the final 30 seconds.

I enjoy watching Hightower work. Didn't see his travel mechanic on the OOB, but had a good look at his body foul signal on the OK player very near the end of the game. Certainly not in accordance with the book but a great sell nonetheless, as he rubbed his palm up and down his chest to show the point of contact. Looked like a good call from my angle.

Sampson predictably didn't think so. He came undone -- his tie was summarily disentangled from his neck and flew to the bench -- as he did a bit of theatrical undressing to show his disagreement. Loved it.

Another interesting aspect to me was that on more than one occasion last night, Sampson's lips could be read as he addressed Hightower as "Ed" when trying to make a point. First name basis, but respect for the official still came through. At least that's how I saw it.

Sven
Old Fri Dec 12, 2003, 08:31pm
Official Forum Member

quote from bard:

One interesting call: Purdue was at the line to shoot a 1 and bonus. Apparently, however, everyone thought it was a 2-shot situation, because no players moved to rebound after the first shot was missed. I don't recall if the official just got the ball, or if a player tossed the ball to the official, or what happened. By this time, I was assuming it was a 2-shot penalty, as well.

I've seen it happen several times. Situation 1 has shooter A grabbing the rebound as it bounces back to him and laying it in without any defence. Situation 2 has someone toss it back to me under goal. In that situation: OOB give to other team.

Barry