The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Volleyball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Sep 15, 2008, 12:43pm
Official Forum Member

Need to Rant - Part III

Okay, this one isn't really a rant. I've just found it curious that my last two partners have also found the need to check lineups as R1 (Yes, they have lineup cards as R1, but many times it seems like I am the only one who doesn't). They've both done it from the stand, and I'm sure no one notices other than me, but it's really bugging the heck out of me. I'm sure I'm just overreacting, but it has now become a sensitive issue with me.

My third partner is a lady I've worked with many times and we had no problems. My fourth partner is a guy I worked with once before. He's normally a football official, so he's doing a grand total of four VB matches this year. He wasn't even worried about not having his patch on his shirt. I had to give him a five minute briefing on signals because it's his first match of the year. Luckily I did that because he seems surprised when I tell him we don't use the point signal any more! I had to hold his hand during the match as many times he would whistle the play dead then look confused until I discretely gave him the proper signal to use. He's a nice guy though.

Tonight I finally get back to doing a Varsity match. Two very bad teams, but at this point I don't care. I will be working with someone new though. It will be her first high school match ever, though this is her fourth year officiating from my understanding. I promise I won't be checking lineups from the stand!
Old Mon Sep 15, 2008, 08:14pm
Official Forum Member

BB,
In Indiana they used to tell R1 to keep a card while on the stand. At least that what a lot of my old partners told me.
Old Tue Sep 16, 2008, 03:47pm
Official Forum Member

The only time I've kept a card on the stand is when working alone for a few MS and Frosh games. Generally never have a problem as these are not that skilled of teams and rarely are in much of a serve/receive formation other than 3 across the front and 3 across the back in a straight line.
While the level of play is poor, the players, coaches and parents are always happy to have an official that is early to the match and knows what they are doing. It seems they get several of Blitz' partners working the matches.
Old Tue Sep 16, 2008, 10:38pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by refnrev
BB,
In Indiana they used to tell R1 to keep a card while on the stand. At least that what a lot of my old partners told me.
Rev, you're probably right. I would say that at least 50% of my partners keep one as R1. Even the lady I worked the varsity match with last night, who is in her third year, kept a card. Like stmaryrams, I only keep a card as R1 when working alone, and once I check the lineup I stick it in my pocket and leave it there. I make sure to tell the SK that I will be relying on them for help. I've found it to be a great help the suggestion by either Jan or Felix that when I'm asked for a lineup check that I ask the SK for the next three servers and/or the last three servers. Of course I let the SK know before the match starts that if a lineup check is requested that I will be asking for this info. I do this if I am R1 working alone or R2. My partner tonight, who is a good official and has about five years experience, as I do, struggled tonight when asked for lineup checks. He moved a couple of players back and forth twice before finally settling on the lineup. I totally had flashbacks of me doing this exact thing before I began relying on the SK, who has the OFFICIAL lineup.
Old Wed Sep 17, 2008, 01:41pm
Official Forum Member

I admit I use a card on the stand as R1. Mine has the first name and numbers of the floor captain - not the line up. I find it much more personal to address the floor captains by name instead of by numbers. I'll peek at the card only if I need it, but I usually have them memorized by the beginning of the match.

I've surprised many a captain by addressing them by their first name.
Old Wed Sep 17, 2008, 03:37pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueump View Post
I admit I use a card on the stand as R1. Mine has the first name and numbers of the floor captain - not the line up. I find it much more personal to address the floor captains by name instead of by numbers. I'll peek at the card only if I need it, but I usually have them memorized by the beginning of the match.

I've surprised many a captain by addressing them by their first name.
With all due respect....I usually don't refer to anyone by their first name unless they personally give me their permission. It's just not professional. Do you allow the players to address you by your first name? If you like the idea of addressing the captains by their names, rather than by number....why not address them as (Capt./Ms./Mr.) Smith. I think you create the same effect....but retain a professional environment for all participants. JMO
Old Thu Sep 18, 2008, 08:06am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by imaref View Post
Do you allow the players to address you by your first name?
Absolutely. I begin the pregame conference (assuming I am R1) by saying, "Hello ladies. I'm Travis and this is Jane. We're your officials..." I feel this is more a matter of preference than professionalism.
Old Thu Sep 18, 2008, 08:10am
Official Forum Member

I only keep a card when R1 if I am without a partner. Otherwise - I put my trust in my partner. That is what they are there for. I do try and keep track of setters and big hitters and where they are in the rotation.

I also do not use first names while on court. It's a personal preference. I just address players by number and coaches as "Coach". When I was a coach - I addressed officials as "sir", "mam" or "ref". I think using numbers and "coach" makes you appear more "objective" and official, whereas using names and sounding too familiar with players/coaches makes you appear more "subjective" and less official. JMO and I would never slam anyone who does use names if they are comfortable with it.
Old Thu Sep 18, 2008, 09:01am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to FMadera Send a message via AIM to FMadera Send a message via Yahoo to FMadera
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbsbvb83 View Post
Absolutely. I begin the pregame conference (assuming I am R1) by saying, "Hello ladies. I'm Travis and this is Jane. We're your officials..." I feel this is more a matter of preference than professionalism.
That may be, but would you want a player saying, "Hey Travis, what was that call?"
PAVO National Referee / Certified Line Judge/Scorer
WIAA/IHSA Volleyball Referee
Old Thu Sep 18, 2008, 09:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMadera View Post
That may be, but would you want a player saying, "Hey Travis, what was that call?"
Why wouldn't you? To me it's all about good communication. And if you can put a player, captain, coach, scorekeeper, partner, line judge, etc. at ease, and get them to feel like they can actually come to you with questions, why wouldn't you? If that means letting them call you by first name, what's wrong with that?

I will admit that I'm a pretty informal kind of guy by nature. And perhaps that colors my thinking on this.
Old Thu Sep 18, 2008, 10:05am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FMadera View Post
Assuming the player is the floor captain, I have no problem with that. If I introduce myself to the captains and the coaches as Travis during the pregame conference, I shouldn't be surprised when they refer to me by my first name (that being said, it doesn't happen very often as most of them forget my name as soon as I mention it anyway). The same is true when I work the plate on a baseball game. In order to develop a good working relationship with the catchers, I always exchange pleasantries and first names with them during the first inning warm-up pitches. On the other hand, when I introduce myself as Mr. Pate to my students on the first day of school, I expect the students to refer to me as Mr. Pate. I guess I have always considered the classroom and the volleyball court (or the baseball and softball fields) to be two different atmospheres. Perhaps I am alone in my assessment. I suppose it could also have something to do with the fact that I applied for my officiating licenses from the IHSA when I was seventeen (that has been some time ago). Since then, I have worked with a great deal of partners (including state finals officials) and I can't ever recall a partner introducing herself / himself as Ms. or Mr. Whatever. Just curious, are there people on this board that do?
Old Thu Sep 18, 2008, 01:25pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to FMadera Send a message via AIM to FMadera Send a message via Yahoo to FMadera
Quote:
Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle View Post
Why wouldn't you? To me it's all about good communication. And if you can put a player, captain, coach, scorekeeper, partner, line judge, etc. at ease, and get them to feel like they can actually come to you with questions, why wouldn't you? If that means letting them call you by first name, what's wrong with that?

I will admit that I'm a pretty informal kind of guy by nature. And perhaps that colors my thinking on this.
I guess it depends. I know if I called a player by first name, that would display a level of informality that might be misconstrued by other people. Even if I *know* the player personally, her name is "captain" or "12." Normally when captains come to the stand, they don't address me at all. We just cut straight to the topic at hand, so it hasn't really been an issue. If a captain came up to me and addressed me by first name, well, I can't say I'd be entirely comfortable with it. But no, I wouldn't introduce myself as Mr. Madera either.

A coach might refer to me by first name, and I'm pretty loose on that, but I would still call the coach, "Coach," even after having gone through introductions, or even if I've known the coach for years.

Your mileage may vary.
PAVO National Referee / Certified Line Judge/Scorer
WIAA/IHSA Volleyball Referee
Old Thu Sep 18, 2008, 05:30pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
....when I introduce myself as Mr. Pate to my students on the first day of school, I expect the students to refer to me as Mr. Pate. I guess I have always considered the classroom and the volleyball court (or the baseball and softball fields) to be two different atmospheres.
Really? Is this high school? I have always heard school administrators, athletic directors, state high school associations, etc. refer to the high school athletic experience as an "extension of the classroom". Has that changed? If so....I must be an "old-timer".
Old Thu Sep 18, 2008, 07:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Perhaps I am alone in my assessment.
While I certainly agree that high school athletics are an extension of the classroom (in that both athletic and academic experiences involve the learning process, and that both can build character), I still see a volleyball court as a much different atmosphere than a classroom. Think about your favorite class from high school. Come on... it hasn't been that long... even for an old-timer. Now think about the most exciting volleyball match you have ever seen... with outstanding physical accomplishments, roaring crowds, media coverage, emotions running high, etc. Do you still think they have the same atmosphere?

Last edited by bbsbvb83; Thu Sep 18, 2008 at 07:29pm.
Old Thu Sep 18, 2008, 09:20pm
Official Forum Member

Im going with Felix on this one. For example, tonight I had a JV/V game and two of the visiting players are ones that I know very well from soccer. In fact, they both go out of their way to tell me each game that I am their favorite official. And I run into one of the girls other places, (food places, wal-mart, etc.) Everywhere I see her I call her "13" her VB and soccer number and she always calls me ref. Even though we have a very friendly relationship, it just keeps a distance that I think is healthier. I will give them a high five or talk to them after the game.... but during in the game it's player, number or captain to the players, and ref or sir to me. Just better IMO.