View Single Post
Old Mon Sep 15, 2008, 12:43pm
Official Forum Member

Need to Rant - Part III

Okay, this one isn't really a rant. I've just found it curious that my last two partners have also found the need to check lineups as R1 (Yes, they have lineup cards as R1, but many times it seems like I am the only one who doesn't). They've both done it from the stand, and I'm sure no one notices other than me, but it's really bugging the heck out of me. I'm sure I'm just overreacting, but it has now become a sensitive issue with me.

My third partner is a lady I've worked with many times and we had no problems. My fourth partner is a guy I worked with once before. He's normally a football official, so he's doing a grand total of four VB matches this year. He wasn't even worried about not having his patch on his shirt. I had to give him a five minute briefing on signals because it's his first match of the year. Luckily I did that because he seems surprised when I tell him we don't use the point signal any more! I had to hold his hand during the match as many times he would whistle the play dead then look confused until I discretely gave him the proper signal to use. He's a nice guy though.

Tonight I finally get back to doing a Varsity match. Two very bad teams, but at this point I don't care. I will be working with someone new though. It will be her first high school match ever, though this is her fourth year officiating from my understanding. I promise I won't be checking lineups from the stand!