The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Volleyball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 22, 2008, 01:57pm
Official Forum Member

Stationary goals

I work in one MS quite a bit. There are 2 stationary b'ball goals. Its is so fun to see how different partners will want to interpret how to play them. I know the rule is blow it dead and make a judgement about the replay. But some will want to call it dead regardless. Some will want to let them play it off the boards. Some will want to judge the replay and decide at that moment to let them continue to play it off the boards, replay it regardless, or blow it dead regardless. I sometimes wonder how the kids learn.
Old Tue Jan 22, 2008, 08:30pm
Official Forum Member

I've officiated and coached for about 20 years and I wonder myself sometimes! I have found that, if coaches are really interested in learning and teaching they will often talk with you about certain discrepancies.

One particular case comes to mind...I was officiating a girls' high school tournament and in one match I called one team's setter three or four times for an illegal back-row attack. After the match the coach came up to me and my partner and thanked us for making the calls. She said that in her area, the officials apparently were not very knowledgable and never called her setter for the foul, even though the coach kept telling her that what she was doing was illegal. The setter basically felt that as long as she was not being called for it, she would continue to do it.

Since she was always able to dump the ball over the net (when the ball was completely above the plane of the net) as a back row setter, it took her a few games during the tournament to adjust her thinking and her approach to handling balls passed close to the net. You're right Rev, it can be confusing and frustrating for players when officials don't know or mis-apply the rules.