The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Volleyball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Sep 10, 2007, 03:38pm
Official Forum Member

Question Testing the waters

I've refereed one year of church league volleyball, and enjoyed it. This weekend one of our local HS volleyball big wigs gave her best shot at talking me into signing up to do HS volleyball. I think she may have succeeded.

But before I dive in head first, further complicating my life since I also do HS basketball, what do you folks like and dislike about HS volleyball? Are there things as a wide-eyed rookie I ought to know before really deciding? Any advice for the guy sitting on the fence?
Old Mon Sep 10, 2007, 06:01pm
Official Forum Member

Check this thread from the basketball board about a month ago......

Volleyball anyone?
Old Tue Sep 11, 2007, 06:13am
Resident VB Rules Guru

Send a message via AIM to MCBear Send a message via MSN to MCBear Send a message via Yahoo to MCBear Send a message via Skype™ to MCBear
Back In The Saddle, please see my response on the thread that Andy posted. If you want to do volleyball, my first recommendation is to find a current volleyball official whom you know and respect, then ask them if they would be willing to mentor you as you learn the art of officiating the sport of volleyball.

Another possible suggestion, contact your regional USAV office and start reffing club volleyball. You will do as many matches in one club season as you will do in 8-10 seasons of high school volleyball.

If I can be of any assistance to you, please feel free to contact me.
CIF State Volleyball State Championships Referee (2005), Scorekeeper (2006-2007) & Libero Tracker (2010)
PAVO State Referee (2014) / PAVO Certified Scorekeeper (2014) / PAVO Certified Line Judge (2012)
USAV Junior National Referee (resigned 2013) / USAV National Scorekeeper (2014)
Old Tue Sep 11, 2007, 05:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCBear
Back In The Saddle, please see my response on the thread that Andy posted. If you want to do volleyball, my first recommendation is to find a current volleyball official whom you know and respect, then ask them if they would be willing to mentor you as you learn the art of officiating the sport of volleyball.

Another possible suggestion, contact your regional USAV office and start reffing club volleyball. You will do as many matches in one club season as you will do in 8-10 seasons of high school volleyball.

If I can be of any assistance to you, please feel free to contact me.
Well that got ugly fast I will do as you suggest. I just got back from the state office where I registered (very late). I've met much of my association at a meeting last night. I guess the next step, aside from poring over the rules and taking the test, is to find a mentor.

Thanks again!
Old Tue Sep 11, 2007, 06:35pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to FMadera Send a message via AIM to FMadera Send a message via Yahoo to FMadera
Best of luck, BITS. If you have any questions, we're all here to help.
PAVO National Referee / Certified Line Judge/Scorer
WIAA/IHSA Volleyball Referee
Old Tue Sep 11, 2007, 08:20pm
Official Forum Member

Back....
Welcome aboard the VB fraternity. I think you'll like it. One word of unsolicited advice... work younger games (JH or MS) for a season or so before you go up to JV / V. I think you'll find that you were glad that you did. R
Old Wed Sep 12, 2007, 05:12pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by refnrev
Back....
Welcome aboard the VB fraternity. I think you'll like it. One word of unsolicited advice... work younger games (JH or MS) for a season or so before you go up to JV / V. I think you'll find that you were glad that you did. R
Why do you suggest this? The reason I ask is that I have done a year of church league vb and I wonder if I will have gained the same experience you're suggesting while doing that.
Old Wed Sep 12, 2007, 05:57pm
Official Forum Member

Maybe... I'd ask some officials in your area. Did they use the libero, allow libero serving, and follow NFHS rules? You obviously do have a head start because of the experience. Whatever happens, I hope you have a lot of fun and enjoy officiating VB.
Old Thu Sep 13, 2007, 12:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by refnrev
Maybe... I'd ask some officials in your area. Did they use the libero, allow libero serving, and follow NFHS rules? You obviously do have a head start because of the experience. Whatever happens, I hope you have a lot of fun and enjoy officiating VB.
I see your point. This league does not use the libero and plays USA Volleyball rules (with some mods, like no libero). I will see what my assoication leadership suggest. Thanks for the feedback!