The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Volleyball (https://forum.officiating.com/volleyball/)
-   -   Testing the waters (https://forum.officiating.com/volleyball/38147-testing-waters.html)

Back In The Saddle Mon Sep 10, 2007 03:38pm

Testing the waters

I've refereed one year of church league volleyball, and enjoyed it. This weekend one of our local HS volleyball big wigs gave her best shot at talking me into signing up to do HS volleyball. I think she may have succeeded.

But before I dive in head first, further complicating my life since I also do HS basketball, what do you folks like and dislike about HS volleyball? Are there things as a wide-eyed rookie I ought to know before really deciding? Any advice for the guy sitting on the fence?

Andy Mon Sep 10, 2007 06:01pm

Check this thread from the basketball board about a month ago......

http://forum.officiating.com/showthread.php?t=37499

MCBear Tue Sep 11, 2007 06:13am

Back In The Saddle, please see my response on the thread that Andy posted. If you want to do volleyball, my first recommendation is to find a current volleyball official whom you know and respect, then ask them if they would be willing to mentor you as you learn the art of officiating the sport of volleyball.

Another possible suggestion, contact your regional USAV office and start reffing club volleyball. You will do as many matches in one club season as you will do in 8-10 seasons of high school volleyball.

If I can be of any assistance to you, please feel free to contact me.

Back In The Saddle Tue Sep 11, 2007 05:56pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by MCBear
Back In The Saddle, please see my response on the thread that Andy posted. If you want to do volleyball, my first recommendation is to find a current volleyball official whom you know and respect, then ask them if they would be willing to mentor you as you learn the art of officiating the sport of volleyball.

Another possible suggestion, contact your regional USAV office and start reffing club volleyball. You will do as many matches in one club season as you will do in 8-10 seasons of high school volleyball.

If I can be of any assistance to you, please feel free to contact me.

Well that got ugly fast :D I will do as you suggest. I just got back from the state office where I registered (very late). I've met much of my association at a meeting last night. I guess the next step, aside from poring over the rules and taking the test, is to find a mentor.

Thanks again!

FMadera Tue Sep 11, 2007 06:35pm

Best of luck, BITS. If you have any questions, we're all here to help.

refnrev Tue Sep 11, 2007 08:20pm

Back....
Welcome aboard the VB fraternity. I think you'll like it. One word of unsolicited advice... work younger games (JH or MS) for a season or so before you go up to JV / V. I think you'll find that you were glad that you did. R

Back In The Saddle Wed Sep 12, 2007 05:12pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by refnrev
Back....
Welcome aboard the VB fraternity. I think you'll like it. One word of unsolicited advice... work younger games (JH or MS) for a season or so before you go up to JV / V. I think you'll find that you were glad that you did. R

Why do you suggest this? The reason I ask is that I have done a year of church league vb and I wonder if I will have gained the same experience you're suggesting while doing that.

refnrev Wed Sep 12, 2007 05:57pm

Maybe... I'd ask some officials in your area. Did they use the libero, allow libero serving, and follow NFHS rules? You obviously do have a head start because of the experience. Whatever happens, I hope you have a lot of fun and enjoy officiating VB.

Back In The Saddle Thu Sep 13, 2007 12:01pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by refnrev
Maybe... I'd ask some officials in your area. Did they use the libero, allow libero serving, and follow NFHS rules? You obviously do have a head start because of the experience. Whatever happens, I hope you have a lot of fun and enjoy officiating VB.

I see your point. This league does not use the libero and plays USA Volleyball rules (with some mods, like no libero). I will see what my assoication leadership suggest. Thanks for the feedback! :)