The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Volleyball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Feb 22, 2007, 01:05pm
Official Forum Member

Basketball Goal

Situation 1: Team R makes its first contact with a served ball which then contacts the main basketball goal on the same side of the net (retractible style basketball goal - hanging in a verticle position). Another player on the same team would have had a legitimate opportunity to play the ball if the basketball goal had not been there. Replay, correct?

Situation 2: Team R makes its first contact with a served ball which then contacts a side basketball goal on the same side of the net (basketball goal is mounted flush with the wall & directly onto the wall). Another player on the same team would have had a legitimate opportunity to play the ball if the basketball goal had not been there. What is the appropriate call? Does it matter if the ball contacted the backboard first or the rim first?

Thanks for your help.
Old Thu Feb 22, 2007, 02:42pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbsbvb83
Situation 1: Team R makes its first contact with a served ball which then contacts the main basketball goal on the same side of the net (retractible style basketball goal - hanging in a verticle position). Another player on the same team would have had a legitimate opportunity to play the ball if the basketball goal had not been there. Replay, correct?

Situation 2: Team R makes its first contact with a served ball which then contacts a side basketball goal on the same side of the net (basketball goal is mounted flush with the wall & directly onto the wall). Another player on the same team would have had a legitimate opportunity to play the ball if the basketball goal had not been there. What is the appropriate call? Does it matter if the ball contacted the backboard first or the rim first?

Thanks for your help.
Situation #1 - This according to the book is a judgement call on the part of the referee. When the ball contacts the vertical obstruction, the referee blows the whistle and then determines if the ball would have been able to be played...if so, as you state, then yes, this is a replay. If not, then the ball is "out" point awarded to the serving team.

Situation #2 - From your description I am visualizing that the backboard is flush against the wall with the rim sticking out away from the backboard. In this case any ball that hits the backboard would have hit the wall had the backboard not been there. The backboard is part of the wall, any ball contacting it is out. The only question in my mind would be if the ball hit the rim. To do this and for a player to have been able to play the ball had the rim not been there, you would have had to have a ball coming almost straight down from above - a pretty rare thing, especially on a pass from a serve. In my judgement (and of course I would have to be there to see it) this ball would be nearly impossible to have been played by any player...ball is out-of-bounds...point serving team. If the ball was coming straight down and touches the rim and a player is waiting below to play the ball, then I've got a replay.
Old Thu Feb 22, 2007, 10:22pm
Resident VB Rules Guru

Send a message via AIM to MCBear Send a message via MSN to MCBear Send a message via Yahoo to MCBear Send a message via Skype™ to MCBear
Vertical Backboard

bbsbvb83,

Whenever we are discussing vertical backboards in relation to high school volleyball, we always have to consider two things - (1) was the ball location such that if the backboard had not been there, a player could have made a play on it; and (2) is the backboard located more than six feet from the court.

In situation 1, most likely we would have a judgment replay since a player for the receiving team might have made a play if the backboard had not been there.

In situation 2, the backboard is considered to be a part of the wall since it is flush-mounted. IF the wall and, therefore, the backboard are less than 6 feet from the court, a judgment replay could result if the ball would have remained in play if the backboard (and wall) had not been there.
CIF State Volleyball State Championships Referee (2005), Scorekeeper (2006-2007) & Libero Tracker (2010)
PAVO State Referee (2014) / PAVO Certified Scorekeeper (2014) / PAVO Certified Line Judge (2012)
USAV Junior National Referee (resigned 2013) / USAV National Scorekeeper (2014)
Old Thu Feb 22, 2007, 11:34pm
Official Forum Member

These situations are ones that I face a lot in one MS gym where I officiate often. It is small and has stationary backboards that extend very close to the back lines. When we pre-game, different partners view them differently. Some say it should be dead. Others say we should make a judgement and possibly replay it. Both groups have been adament about their position.
Some site 9.3.e to call it dead. Some site 9.8.3h to make judgement on a replay. Truth is, it has never been a factor in one single game I have done there... and I've done several. Because of their proximity to the court (and since this is MS ball) I tend to come down on the the side of a replay although I have never actually measured the distance from the endline.
Old Fri Feb 23, 2007, 04:23am
Resident VB Rules Guru

Send a message via AIM to MCBear Send a message via MSN to MCBear Send a message via Yahoo to MCBear Send a message via Skype™ to MCBear
rev, those who are citing 9.3.e are missing that the backboard must be over a non-playable area for that to apply.

Since, in the instance of the backboard near the end-line, it seems as though it would be over a playable area, the ball would be dead because we are going to make a judgment as to whether or not the ball could have been played had the vertical backboard NOT been there.

If the ball is headed for down-town Timbuktu, then when we blow the whistle, the play is dead and the ball is out-of-bounds. On the other hand, if the ball is looping in such a way that, if the vertical backboard had not been there, a player could have had a chance to make a play on the ball, then we will have a whistle killing the play and a judgment replay awarded.
CIF State Volleyball State Championships Referee (2005), Scorekeeper (2006-2007) & Libero Tracker (2010)
PAVO State Referee (2014) / PAVO Certified Scorekeeper (2014) / PAVO Certified Line Judge (2012)
USAV Junior National Referee (resigned 2013) / USAV National Scorekeeper (2014)
Old Fri Feb 23, 2007, 09:49am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to FMadera Send a message via AIM to FMadera Send a message via Yahoo to FMadera
Quote:
Originally Posted by refnrev
When we pre-game, different partners view them differently. Some say it should be dead.
And they would be right. I hope the ball wouldn't still be live.

Of course, the decision becomes what to do after blowing the ball dead. Out, or replay?

Just giving you a little grief...
PAVO National Referee / Certified Line Judge/Scorer
WIAA/IHSA Volleyball Referee