The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Volleyball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Sep 29, 2006, 08:20am
Official Forum Member

Contact with the Net Outside the Antennas

Hello Forum,

Here's a play I had last night. The setter makes an overhead pass/set to an Outside Hitter, the set is tight to the net. The OH makes an approach, swings and her momentum takes her into the portion of the net that is to the left/outside of the antenna. I called a net violation on the girl and the speaking captain came up and told me that this was a legal play. I told her that I was not aware of this rule, she informed me that this is a correct procedure - that a girl can hit the net outside of the antenna or hit the cable as long as she is outside of the antenna. She told me that this occured at a club tournament and that it was applicable to Federation volleyball as well. I told the player that I was not informed of this change and I stuck with my call - but was I correct? I go back to Rule 9-6-7 article a which states that "...A net foul occurs while the ball is in play and a player contacts any part of the net including net cables or net antennas...". This was not a girl hitting the net with her hair - the front of her body went full into the net.

So, here are my questions for the forum...

1.) Did I miss a memo and get the call incorrect?
2.) Is this legal under club rules?

Thanks for taking the time to read this post - I am looking forward to the reply.

Dan Renninger
Coastal Mountain Officials Association/Northern california
Old Fri Sep 29, 2006, 10:20am
Resident VB Rules Guru

Send a message via AIM to MCBear Send a message via MSN to MCBear Send a message via Yahoo to MCBear Send a message via Skype™ to MCBear
Your call was correct

Dan,

1) Your net call on the hitter making contact with the net and cable outside the antenna was correct. The rule that you cite is the one that applies and any contact with the net or cables outside the net is deemed a net violation.

2) In USAV and NCAA, contact with the net cables outside the net is legal unless the contact interferes with play (USAV and NCAA); or is used for support while playing the ball (NCAA). Contact with the net portion would still be a fault under both codes (Ref: USAV 11.3.2, NCAA 15.2.1.b)

Hope that answers your questions. See you at next year's NCS Volleyball Officials Coordingating Committee meeting at Terra Linda!
CIF State Volleyball State Championships Referee (2005), Scorekeeper (2006-2007) & Libero Tracker (2010)
PAVO State Referee (2014) / PAVO Certified Scorekeeper (2014) / PAVO Certified Line Judge (2012)
USAV Junior National Referee (resigned 2013) / USAV National Scorekeeper (2014)
Old Fri Sep 29, 2006, 11:27am
Official Forum Member

Thanks...

Thanks for the prompt reply. Although the captain questioned me about the call it was a good encounter and I will now be able to give her a reply from a real "expert", (remember that an expert is anyone that lives more than 50 miles away).

Have a great season and I will indeed see you next September in Terra Linda!!

Dan Renninger