The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 01, 2004, 01:17pm
Official Forum Member

I saw this happen in a game last week.

Legal forward pass beyond the line. Receiver and defender contact each other while both are making a legitimate attempt to catch the ball, Neither commits PI. The pass is tipped into the air. The defender, as a result of the incidental contact falls to the ground and while sitting on the ground, intercepts the pass. He then gets to his feet and advances.

My question is: Does a player heve to be in posession of the ball when the contact occurs to be considered "down by contact"? Based upon the way this play transpired, it appears that this is the case.
Old Thu Jan 01, 2004, 01:47pm
Official Forum Member

Only the player in possession of the ball can be "downed". Since the defender in your example didn't have the ball at the time of the contact (it was loose) there's no way he can be called down at that point.

*AFTER* he catches (has possession of) the ball he can be considered down if any part of his body, other than his hands or feet, is touching the ground AND he is contacted by a defender... BUT in your example, even though he was sitting on the ground, there was no contact by a defender so he is free to get up and run the ball.

Really... if you think about it... it would be pretty weird if you could end the down by tackling some guy who was *CLOSE TO* the ball, but not actually holding it.

Of course, I'm assuming you're talking NFL.

-Sean---

[Edited by SeanWest on Jan 1st, 2004 at 04:37 PM]